No announcement yet.

I want to see MSPro 7 run on these....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to see MSPro 7 run on these....

New Intel HT chipset with an 800mhz FSB for their HT P4's;

Then there's the Hammers where the FSB runs at the same clock as the CPU....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

These new processors and bus speeds are going to transform the computing experience.

It's so amazing to see how fast they're coming, too.

If somebody notices a HAMMER motherboard, please post a link here.

I'm salivating at the thought of getting a 64-bit system built.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

I'm salivating at the thought of 2 of 'em running MSPRo 7

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc,

If you are able to get 2 of them, remember the little tweak I told you. You will see the improvement in performance. We have 3 machines with 3G and 1 gig of RAMS, and after tweaking to peak performance.....you should see the MSP7 on these machines....it is like driving Ferrari!!

Jerry has been inputting info of 64-bit to me. Don't worry Jerry...it is coming....trust me. I'll be kicking some asses around here.

Jack

Comment

64 bit working is less-than-useless unless it has ad hoc software. PC Pro magazine did some testing on prototype rigs and found a distinct slowing of 32 bit apps (using an emulator), compared with ordinary 32 bit computers.

Similarly, HT computers are slower than cheaper ones for non-HT software. Feb 2003 issue of the same mag:
          "As with SMP, Hyper-threading needs software to be multithreaded. But that's not all - the two threads need to complement each other, so they don't try to execute the same instructions at the same time. This means that software written for SMP isn't automatically going to get any benefit from Hyper-Threading - it will have to be rewritten." They then quote a concrete example where rendering was 30% slower in a dual HT 2.4 GHz Xeon than in an SMP machine. ... "when we run our standard 2D benchmarks on a 3 GHz Pentium 4 HT, we see a drop of around 5 per cent in performance with Hyper-Threading turned on compared to with it off. ... We also see [with HT] a marginal improvement in our video-editing benchmark, which uses Cleaner 5.". Another potential limitation is that Intel recommends only Windows XP. No prior OS can tell the difference between physical and logical processors. And, if you install an HT processor, you MUST reinstall XP (and ask William for his approval in doing so). The limitation with Win2k is even more severe, if you try to run a dual HT system, as W2k simply will not allow you, as it will see 4 processors, not 2 and this is verboten.

I think a little more savvy is required before we all rush out to buy our HT or 64 bit system, if we don't want to be disappointed.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Any word if Ulead will break into and dominate th Linux platform?
            Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

The Win2K limitation with dualies is one reason the RT.X100 will not support dualies in it. XP is required.

I most certainly hope you get your way Jack...64 bit support in MSPro7 would be pure dynamite....and some of those Athlon 64 mainboards will use 4 CPU's

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

LINUX.....pooh, this is highly unlikely at the moment.

This would be a huge effort: we need to give up engines such as DirectX, MFC, VFW, etc.

All in all, it would be one heck of a change. This would be like starting from scratch.

If we are able to find another solution for MSP to opearate on LINUX, it would be meer impossible for this thought to become a reality.....unless Microsoft is dropped from the face of the Earth, and LINUX took over as the monopoly, then Ulead definitely will develop on LINUX.

Comment

Uh yeah, it would be starting from scratch as they are different O/S's. But low and behold people do program apps for Linux!
                  One of the big guns has to be the first mainstream NLE. Why not Ulead? Maybe it will be Apple with Final Cut Pro. Their O/S has been dual coded to run on x86 hardware, and we all know O/S X is built on Unix. A port to Linux may be feasable.
                  Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

The key issue here is ROI: Return On Investment.

As already noted it'll be a major undertaking (read: expensive) to port it to Linux.

Most companies will wait until software from the big boys put more Linux workstations on peoples desktops before developing for it. If that doesn't happen....

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 January 2003, 11:21.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yes it would be an undertaking, but like I said the Linux market is wide open. It is just a matter of time befor it is a dominant desktop, its already exceeded the Mac. But to be fair the Mac has more user geared towards media.
                      The feeling seems to be that a lot of companies are waiting for the masses to be siting there running Linux waiting for their killer app.
                      But in reality we are all waiting for when Linux has the killer app we want.
                      Eg. how many of us would consider running Linux if Ulead released Media StudioPro 7 Linux this spring? The speed gains you would see would be amazing compared to the same hardware in Win. Especially if dual processors.
                      Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Remember the poll I ran a few months ago?

You will find it here

This is obviously a hen and egg situation.

I have Linux on one of my computers and run a complex CAD app on it. The same app was ported from Windows and I've been able to make a comparison:
                        • it runs faster on Linux for autorouting printed circuit boards
                        • it renders 3-d surfaces about twice as fast in Linux as under 98SE
                        • it has NEVER crashed under Linux, even when rendering a 20-layer large printed circuit, taking 24 hours (under 98SE, it is touch and go: under W2k, it will crash 1 in 10 times)
                        • there is no memory leakage under Linux

There are therefore obvious advantages to have an app like MSPro under Linux, but I can understand the reluctance of companies like Ulead to develop for it, or BeOS or Solaris or OS/2 or any of the other minority OSs.

The real problem with Linux is that, no matter which flavour you choose out of the dozen or so that are available, there is every chance you cannot get it working out of the box. I have four types here of varying ages (Red Hat 4, Corel, Caldera and Red Hat 7.2). I have installed the first three on one computer: not one of them installed without serious difficulty (different for each one). The RH 7.2, which is what I use now, is dual-booting on this computer I'm using now. It took me 3 weeks to get it working properly and fully, with a long and protracted exchange of e-mails with the makers (bless them, Bill could take a leaf out of their books for support!). Even so, I don't have optimised drivers for all the peripherals (e.g., my HP-2200DT laser printer, which works fine, except that I cannot get double-sided or economy-mode printing on it). Until Linux works out of the box in 999/1000 cases AND it fully supports all peripherals without hassle AND there is good and "user-friendly" software available for all applications, it will never become mainstream for workstations and PCs, no matter how good it is.

Of course, the latest advantage of Linux is that there is no Bill-the-snooper type EULA, which is restricting the sales of the latest Microsoft offerings. OTOH, it will probably take some time before Linux will come up with an O/S which takes advantage of things like HT.

I have been intending to look at Cinelerra to see how it works, but this is a back-burner job for when (or if ) I find the time to do so.
                        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Linux is already there.

"Hyper-Threading is definitely having a positive impact on Linux kernel and multithreaded applications. The speed-up from Hyper-Threading could be as high as 30% in stock kernel 2.4.19, to 51% in kernel 2.5.32 due to drastic changes in the scheduler run queue's support and Hyper-Threading awareness"

Considering Linux is a true SMP operating system(blows away dual anything on win), imagine 2 HT processors in one box! This is why high end graphics development is moving to Linux.

And as a note, the latest builds of Linux are pushing very close to a "as simple as windows install". This is the year it makes a push as a consummer level desktop. People just can't resist the price ;>)
                          funky
                          Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

LSB, linux standard base is a very good thing for linux. Any distribution that supports it will have much better compatibilty with application written to use LSB.

Mandrake,redhat ,suse to name a few.

The new OS installers are defintely at or better than windows, apllication installation and configuration has a bit to go yet.

Comment

Re: I want to see MSPro 7 run on these....

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              New Intel HT chipset with an 800mhz FSB for their HT P4's;

Then there's the Hammers where the FSB runs at the same clock as the CPU....

Dr. Mordrid
                              There isn't really a FSB on a hammer, there is a clock input, and then there it HyperTransport out, which won't increasing in throughput as the processor increases clockspeed. It's the reduced latency of not having to pull all memory requests over the FSB that makes me want a hammer or 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X