Ati interview GO GO GO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ati interview GO GO GO!

Well I think this is a really great interview by Zardon of driverheaven and it really answer's everyone's questions imo
    take a look:

Re: Ati interview GO GO GO!

As the first (and so far, only) available products with hardware and software support for DirectX 9 displacement mapping, the RADEON 9700 and 9500 family provide an ideal test and development platform for future games to make use of this feature.
    WOW... ATI think they invented the technology didn't they?

Comment

Boooo on the TruForm remark. It's kinda sad that an 8500 can outperform the 9700 in TruForm....and Morrowind looks so nice with it enabled.
      System Specs:
      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
      May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
      Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
      And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
      just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
      For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Yeah I agree there BuddMan but Ati feel that the method is not really necessary anymore as games are using large polygon counts anyway :P

Comment

It's the same as it was with the GF3's RT patches. Since noone else supported Truform, it was unfortunately a still-birth. ATI realised this and desperately needed the transistors - the R300 is no .13m...

To the displacement mapping remark, this is marketing talk. Why do you think, he expressively says "with hardware and software support for DX9 displacement mapping". This is true as long as there are no DX9 drivers from Matrox.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

Heh, there is actually more support for TruForm than ATI expected I think. I am betting in the future they will realize this. If you look at some current games with TruForm enabled, such as Morrowind, it'd make you cry. You can really notice the difference when its enabled. There are quite a few people who have been posting about this at Rage3D who want ATI to support it. I for one think that ATI should deliver.
            System Specs:
            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

I wish more companies adopted a TRUFORM like technology.

But anyway, that interview was kind of annoying. He would give a generic robot "avoid the question" answer, half the time.

Comment

i think developers may adopt HDM instead of TURFORM... since it seems like ATI are kinda pusing it too... go CANADIANS

@Indiana: ROFL. **** marketing well... if that's the case, Matrox did have the first software to do HDM when they were demonstrating HDM with Parhelia at GDC. haha just kidding

Comment

I thought TruForm was some kind of early implementation of HDM or resembled it in some way?
                  System Specs:

Comment

What IS HDM?

Comment

Hardware Displacement Mapping.
                      System Specs:

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                        well... if that's the case, Matrox did have the first software to do HDM when they were demonstrating HDM with Parhelia at GDC.
                        But not DX9 displacement mapping, since there was no final DX9 back then and Matrox has no DX9 drivers out.
                        Of course you can do HDM without a final DX9, and even without using any DX at all - but those "marketeers" know to twist their words so that they're always right, even when they're actually wrong most of the time..
                        (The sad thing is that many people fall for these multiple-faced bastards words)
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                        X