Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching for the ULTIMATE hsf for Parhelia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for the ULTIMATE hsf for Parhelia!

No really need to be ultimate but...

There are quite a few I really like.

1. Akasa Icicle 311

50x50x21mm, good size
    12.5CFM, 34dB
    All copper
    Very cheap, around 8.50GBP
    I really like this one, low CFM though.

2. Akasa Icicle 330

64x63x25mm
    21CFM, 36dB
    All copper
    Around 14.00GBP
    Slightly too big, need to be careful with ramsinks.

3. Aksa Icicle 350

60x60x25mm
    21CFM, 36dB
    All copper
    Around 14.50GBP
    Just fit?

4. ThermalTake G4-VGA A1349

68x60x12.8mm
    10CFM, 29dB
    All copper
    Less than 8GBP inc ramsinks.
    No idea whether it fits, but it looks quite cool. Low CFM.

Please post any suggestions, comments and experiences of these 4 or any other hsf.

Many thanks.

EDIT:
    By the way CoolJag is too expensive in the UK (over 20GBP) so it is not under consideration by me at the moment.

EDIT:
    New Candidate

5. CoolerMaster CI5-6C11B

21.19CFM, 38.5dB
    All copper
    About 11.00GBP.
    This one looks quite cool and promising.

6. GlobalWin CAS68
    Global WIN is a professional manufacturer of cooling fans and heat sinks in Taiwan, suitable for operation on CPU, industrial equipment, and medical equipment.

23.3CFM, 36.8dB
    All copper
    About 18GBP... quite expensive.
    Best of all?

Last edited by WyWyWyWy; 14 January 2003, 17:36.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

The ThermalTake G4-VGA A1349 is one of the best (if not the best) gf4 cooler! BTW take a look at this one :
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

thermaltake makes crap. always did, always will.
      just buy yourself an akasa icicle and you'll be fine.

Comment

By the way anyone know whats the CFM on P retail hsf?
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I guess the Aksa Icicle 350 is the biggest possible cooler for the P.

cu Itchi
          Amd XP 2400+@2300MHZ
          A7n8x / 2*256MB Corsair 3200
          Matrox Parhelia Modded
          Terratec EWX 24/96
          WinTV-DVB-s
          Sony DVD+RW Drive

Comment

Originally posted by P5ycho
            thermaltake makes crap. always did, always will.
            just buy yourself an akasa icicle and you'll be fine.
            I disagree with you on that one! The GPU coolers are great! Also the Volcano 7+ is a realy nice cooler! Their memory coolers does a decent job as well! The Xaser II Case Series and the Xaser III
            Super Tower Series that build on the chieftec case is awesome and their hardcano line is nice!

Also what's wrong with their rounded cables and shimms? And have you even looked at this litle thing? http://www.thermaltake.com/products/...ies/switch.htm

Have not tested the SubZero4Gâ„¢ Thermo Electric Cooling yet you just might want to check them out!

The old orbs sucked thou!
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

i bought that asaka 350 for my parhelia and could not fit it on there, i was gonna drill holes in it then screw it on but its not wide enough to cover the mounting holes square on ands if you put it on the skew then because of the ridge on its underside(to fit athlon chips) it no longer covers the entire heatspreader on parhelia, however if you are willing to soler some small c clips to the edges it will fit, bit of a bodge though, i gave up after drilling holes in the thing then realising the chip was not entirely covered
              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
                I disagree with you on that one! The GPU coolers are great! Also the Volcano 7+ is a realy nice cooler!
                The volcano7+ is a reasonable but not exceptional heatsink.
                Their memory coolers does a decent job as well!
                nope, not really.
                The Xaser II Case Series and the Xaser III
                Super Tower Series that build on the chieftec case is awesome and their hardcano line is nice!
                I must agree cheiftec cases are nice cases, but omg who designed that Xaser front
                Also what's wrong with their rounded cables and shimms? And have you even looked at this litle thing? http://www.thermaltake.com/products/...ies/switch.htm
                It's a variable resistor on a bracket. I can make that for a dollar
                Have not tested the SubZero4Gâ„¢ Thermo Electric Cooling yet you just might want to check them out!

The old orbs sucked thou!
                A peltier-assisted cooler with a heatsink that size just can not be effective on today's CPU's. if you want to overclock with today's CPU's you will have to transport at least 75W plus about 200W for the peltier element itself, the only way to dump such heatloads is by ways of a massive heatsink (think 8x8cm, like swiftechs) or a decent watercooling setup. The biggest problem of the above is the heat is dumped in your case, heating up other things in your case, you'll want extra airflow, which means more noise, etc etc.

Indeed, the old orbs sucked. expecially the blue one. thank god i don't own any.

I just don;t think thermaltake offers any pruducts which are innovative from a technical perspective, which is why i don;t like them. don't take it personal, but be advised

Comment

ooh, baby my dragon orb 3 is cool...err well its noisy and does a reaonable job, and it was cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by P5ycho
                    The volcano7+ is a reasonable but not exceptional heatsink.
                    Agreed... if it were 30% cheaper it would be quite competitive. I once considered it for my P4. But at that price, I figured I might just go for Coolermaster Fujiyama Heatpipe.

nope, not really.
                    Yes it does. Not the blue aluminium one though. The new copper one is quite good, and cheap too.

I must agree cheiftec cases are nice cases, but omg who designed that Xaser front
                    The most ugly front I've ever seen.

It's a variable resistor on a bracket. I can make that for a dollar
                    He's not talking about just 7V fan cable... the whole Hardcano is a big heatsink!!

A peltier-assisted cooler with a heatsink that size just can not be effective on today's CPU's. if you want to overclock with today's CPU's you will have to transport at least 75W plus about 200W for the peltier element itself, the only way to dump such heatloads is by ways of a massive heatsink (think 8x8cm, like swiftechs) or a decent watercooling setup. The biggest problem of the above is the heat is dumped in your case, heating up other things in your case, you'll want extra airflow, which means more noise, etc etc.
                    I don't think any air cooling is sufficient for peltier. IMO watercooling is a must for peltier.

borat: Thanks. What do you mean by "not fit"? Too big? IIRC the CoolJag one is 60x60mm too :O

Comment

when i said it does not fit i meant that there is only just enough base on it to cover the heatspreader, the way i drilled it i leaves only a millimetre on one side, it will fit on the card physically but attatching it is a big problem unless u are going to glue it on.

Comment

Oh right. Sorry I get you now.

But wouldn't ArcticSilvering it and a drop of instant glue on each corner a good solution?

Thanks for the info I think I might go for it.

Comment

But wouldn't ArcticSilvering it and a drop of instant glue on each corner a good solution?
                          Would work a peach
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

yep that would work, is there any way to then remove it though?

Comment

Twist they say.

Comment

Working...
                              X