Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a flatbed scanner?

I need to get a flatbed scanner, for the following uses (in order):

a) scanning in 5"x7" colour photos for subsequent web use and possibly printing after photoshopping (these are mainly holiday snaps)

b) occasional logos etc for websites ie digital reproduction of eg stationary (usually via tracing in illustrator from a scan and colour matching by eye!)

c) random other stuff that might come up, so making A4 flatbed size useful in the future. (Can I really be that anal that I the idea of scanning in invoices etc has occurred to me?!?!?)

I would like to spend between 60 and 100 pounds (GBP). Or less if this is possible.

I have the usual USB that comes onboard the MSI 745 ultra, so that presumably is the interface to use.

What should I look out for? Assume zero knowledge of scanners.

Suggestions particularly welcome on makes and models (and why), and also UK suppliers (always welcome new online supplier suggestions!)

Thanks

Gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Epson. Just pick out the one that comes in your price range.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Hi George

Welcome back

I recently got the HP scanjet 4400c very cheaply (~£58 delivered iirc) from Dabs, who regularly have it on a special offer.

It has a good spec, is USB & parallel & comes with a reasonable brace of s/w.

The only downside is the footprint, which is pretty large.

Also iirc, PC Pro rated it reasonably well ~6 months ago.

HTH

T.
      FT.

Comment

I've had the best luck with Canon scanners, personally. Simple drivers that WORK, no bugs...gets the job done fast, built well, reasonably priced.

Comment

Thanks Tony. Large footprint is probably not so useful though as it will have to be stowed away somewhere when not in use.

Ribbit - any particular reason why Epson?

Regards

George

Comment

Gnep:

When I was about to build a new computer last fall and was checking compliance with WinXP for the gear I wanted to keep for the new system, I found out that the HP 812C printer that was not really old nor ever used much would only have partial support in WinXP and the advice was “Want full XP support? Buy one of our new printers”. I’ve encountered this attitude before from Diamond (Stealth/DirectX) and never bought from them again. Ditto for HP.
            I also have an Epson 1640 scanner. Though it eventually had WinXP support it was very late in coming. First rate hardware and a good rep but the third party software they give you I found wanting. Never could be sure if the patches/fixes etc really were for my exact model.
            For my new system, I went with Canon.

Printer: S750 BJ (USB1.1)
            Scanner: D1250U2F CanoScan (USB2)

I Looked over their driver download pages and they didn’t seem to play the “Deliberately don’t update recent product to a new O/S so they’ll need to buy new gear” game. Lots of older stuff WinXP supported.
            I can’t really recommend Canon scanners as my scanner use/expertise is limited. Printers and scanners do stay useful for a long time though and you might want to avoid getting stuck like I did.
            My Canon stuff works very well and I’m happy with it. The scanner I use is USB2 High Speed Certified and runs off the USB2 port on my Asus P4T533-C (s478/i850e) motherboard (P4 2.8b/1 GB PC1066 etc). It is faster than the Epson 1640 was but that doesn’t get you much when you have to send the job to a pokey ol’ printer. Made some sense to go USB2 for me since my USB1.1 periphs are multiplying (printer, mouse, keyboard, joystick and gamepad on two powered 4-port hubs).
            I believe they have newer scanners with “N” in the model names, and may be better at photo work than the general purpose one I use. Reviews should be easy to track down for any model that interests you.

This is a Canadian site but you can use it to navigate to you region.

Happy trails,
            WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
            1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
              Ribbit - any particular reason why Epson?
              Like Fleabus2 said, they make good hardware. They're always rated highly whenever I see them reviewed, and I've always got great scans from them myself. (No, I don't work for Epson.) Yes, the third-party (non-Adobe) software they give you (that I've seen) sucks, but if you're buying a scanner for that... I'm a Linux guy anyway, so I only care about the hardware.

Anyway, Epson give you a driver and a copy of Photoshop LE. What else do you want?

While I'm here, I should relate that a friend of mine recently got a scanner that was on special at PC World (I forget the brand) - he said it produced horrible scans (I didn't see any for myself). He's also had something else in the past - I think it was a Mustek - that produced very grainy scans. That first scanner he took back and replaced with an HP, which does give very nice output (I've seen it for myself).

I think the moral of the story is that with scanners, there's a lot of cheap and nasty crap out there. If you stick with the big three (Epson, HP, Canon) you should be fine.

Comment

Yeah, I must say as far as OS support goes, Canon has not yet d1cked me over. When I got it, 98SE was the hottest thing out (it's an old FB620U USB scanner), and it was supported. When Win2K was released, Canon quickly came out with new drivers. And the 2K drivers work fine in XP.

My scanner even fell "face down" from a 5 foot drop and survived without a scratch. In the 3+ years I've had it, I can't recall a single hiccup. Quite possibly the most reliable peice of hardware I own.

Dunno if they have linux drivers tho...may wanna look into that.

Comment

Last year I bought a really small A4 Canon Scanner for work, it's great, the next day from the same supplier I could have ordered the upgraded model, same price, twice the resolution, and the ability to mount and use the scanner in a vertical stand, so virtually no foot print. Needless to say I ground my teeth a lot, but it wasn't their fault, just poor timing. But it might be what you're after. Got it from Global Direct which are now the same company (franchise?) as Simply.co.uk. If you can't find it let me know.

Dave
                  Don't make me angry...

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                    Dunno if they have linux drivers tho...may wanna look into that.
                    If you're concerned about Linux support, Epson is definitely a good choice. Epson have been very helpful and open with the OSS community about their scanner specs (and printer specs as well). I've no idea how true that is for HP and Canon - probably best to check SANE (scanners) and gimp-print (printers) - look them up on http://freshmeat.net

Edit: I looked them up for you:
                    http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-mfgs.html (SANE-supported scanners)
                    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_..._Printers.php3 (gimp-print-supported printers)

These lists are probably a little bit out of date, but the idea is to see how well a particular manufacturer tends to be supported.
                    Last edited by Ribbit; 9 January 2003, 14:09.

Comment

I highly recommend Canon scanners, have a N650U (USB1.1)myself. Reliable, fast, very good drivers, high quality scans...in short: everything you want. And the killer feature for me is, that it doesn't need an extra power supply, 'cause it's powered by the USB.
                      main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                        If you're concerned about Linux support, Epson is definitely a good choice. Epson have been very helpful and open with the OSS community about their scanner specs (and printer specs as well). I've no idea how true that is for HP and Canon - probably best to check SANE (scanners) and gimp-print (printers) - look them up on http://freshmeat.net

Edit: I looked them up for you:
                        http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-mfgs.html (SANE-supported scanners)
                        http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_..._Printers.php3 (gimp-print-supported printers)

These lists are probably a little bit out of date, but the idea is to see how well a particular manufacturer tends to be supported.
                        Doh, figures...I have the 620U scanner ("U" meaning USB), and they have...
                        620S (SCSI version)
                        620P (Parrallel version)
                        but no 620U. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by MetalCartman
                          I highly recommend Canon scanners, have a N650U (USB1.1)myself. Reliable, fast, very good drivers, high quality scans...in short: everything you want. And the killer feature for me is, that it doesn't need an extra power supply, 'cause it's powered by the USB.
                          Yeah, forgot about that. Mine still needs a power cord, but the ones that came out shortly after mine all ran of the bus power. Very cool.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. To clear a few things up:

1) I already have all the image editing etc software I need - the only possible exception would be OCR software, but then I might only use that once in 3 years...

2) Hate to say it, but at the moment win2k does everything I need and so Linux support is not important for me.

3) Looks like whatever USB Canon and Epson models I can get in my price range are worth looking at.

Final question - as up to now I have not been much of a USB-user, can anyone tell me if a USB2 scanner will work with USB1 ports (albeit slower)?

Thanks

Gnep

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                              Final question - as up to now I have not been much of a USB-user, can anyone tell me if a USB2 scanner will work with USB1 ports (albeit slower)?
                              No personal experience, but all the USB2 scanners I've seen claim to work with USB1.

Comment

Working...
                              X