Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montana court: separate Miranda warning for each multiple personality....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana court: separate Miranda warning for each multiple personality....

Miranda warnings are the "You have a right to be silent. You have a right to an attorney..." warning given prisoners during an arrest in the US.

A Montana court has held that persons who have multiple personality disorder must be given a separate Miranda warning for each personality

Read all about it here;

I'm getting a headache just thinking about it

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I suppose, if found guilty, "they" will spend 12 hrs a day in jail, and 12 hrs each day free.

The dead victim gets to spend no more time anywhere on this earth.

Comment

Problem is that only about 10% or less of those claiming multiple personalities are really MPD sufferers. The rest are either delusional or just finding a way to excuse bad behavior to themselves.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

MPD is like ADHD, lactose intolerance, and irritable bowel syndrome - we're pretty sure it exists, but we're ALSO pretty sure that 99% of the time, you ain't got it.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I have a friend who really has lactose intolerance. If the coffee shop guy stirs his coffee with a spoon that had previously stirred a cup of coffee with milk in it, even without him seeing it happen (so it's not psychosomatic), he has to spend a few hours in the bathroom within about an hour.

However, I certainly agree that these sorts of things are mis-diagnosed all the time. Add to that list asthma, allergies, and migraine. All of them definitely exist, but I'd bet that MOST people who say they suffer from any of them, don't really have 'em.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Well, Migraine - mixed bag. Julie definitely gets 'em.

So do JW (Jesterzwild) and Damian.

But yeah, I know they really exist, but it's really rare. Sorry to hear about your friend. That SUCKS. Soy milk is nasty.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

true lactose intolerance is pretty rare actually, however lactose intolerance by a certain degree (lack the proper word) is actually quite common, especially in asia.
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I used to be allergic to milk when I was a baby, my mom had to feed me soy milk so I could live to see my first birthday.

I still get massive stomach aches if I have too much milk at one time. I hate the taste of milk but if I have a glass or a bowl or cereal I'm fine.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by agallag Add to that list asthma, allergies, and migraine. All of them definitely exist, but I'd bet that MOST people who say they suffer from any of them, don't really have 'em. [/B]
                  IF you only knew how much you don't know. Guess I'll have to educate you....

I wouldn't take asthma and allergies so lightly. I've both since age 18 months and had to deal with the "it's all in your head" bullshit for much of that

In point of fact asthma can be rather easily diagnosed with a peak flow meter and a few other common tests that determine certain blood values, blood oxygen saturation etc., so stating that a lot of those who suffer from it don't really have it is grosslly misinformed.

Using these measures the current rate of incidence is about 8-10% overall, with higher percentages in urban areas due to pollution. Rural kids suffer too....mostly those who have allergies to pollen, of which there is an abundance in the countryside.

This rate of asthma is up over 250% in the last 20 years; some of which is due to better diagnostics while the rest is due to higher levels of some irritants that can bring on symptoms in those predisposed to it.

Yes, there is is a genetic predisposition to asthma, just as with other immunological disorders like lupus, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis etc. etc.. I guess those are imaginary too 'eh?

For those who don't know: when you're having an asthma attack your bronchioles (small tubes in the lung leading to the air sacs) swell up and close off making you short of breath and dropping blood oxygen levels drastically.

5,000+ people in the US died from asthma attacks and their complications last year, a good percentage of them children. It also is the third leading cause of childhood hospitalizations up to the age of 15, a high percentage of which are for pneumonia...a leading complication of asthma attacks.

The feeling is much like laying on the floor with a football lineman sitting on your chest. You not only cannot inhale but it's also painfully difficult to exhale what air is trapped beyond the blockages. Often the air sacs burst from the continued inflammation and overpressure, which if severe enough causes asthmatics to develop emphysema in later life.

Allergies are also something that are easily diagnosed and do not belong on the "in your head" list. All one has to do is take a blood test and measure the level of IgE antibodies and you get a 90% plus accurate list of what someone's allergic to.

Speaking as someone who almost died because of eating something I'm allergic to I can tell you the complications from allergy can be quite severe. In my case I'm allergic to raw carrots and actively avoid them, but one time finely diced carrots were hidden in some cole slaw and I managed to eat enough to cause a reaction. Result: my throat started to swell shut.

Fortunately a rescue squad team was eating at the same restaurant and they intubated me before things closed all the way down. After some drugs and oxygen I was fine, but I lost 3 days in a hospital during our vacation.

Migranes too are easily diagnosed and very real, so those sufferes do not deserve your denigration either. They're caused by the dialation of the blood vessels in and around the brain. The resulting increase in the vessels size cause them to press on nerves nearby causing pain. Nasty stuff and if you've ever had one you'll never forget it

Dr. Mordrid
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 January 2003, 12:05.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

My sister was fine before she moved to downtown Toronto on St-Clairs. Now after having lived there for 3 years she developped asthma because of the pollution. So I agree with Doc's statement.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Here is a hometown paper's writeup:

It's not a lurid as worldnet's but,
                      I wonder if the Judge would maintain that Personality1 could not be incarcerated if only Personality2 were convicted.

It's seem pretty clear she will wind up in a hospital, not a prison, so it probably does not matter much what the legal technicalities are..

chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Multiple Personality Disorder is... well... sketchy.

Kinda like recovered memories. In fact, new research is showing that recovered memories may not really exist at all. The landmark cases in which they were proven to exist turned out, years after the fact, to be complete fabrications.

Gotta love "psycho"logy.

- Gurm

Comment

I wonder how many poor neurotics, and thier relatives have been badly hurt by Psychologists planting "recovered" memories into them that never happend.
                          It's amazing what some people will do for ego or for a buck.
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

This is plain stupid and has set a dangerous precedent.

Comment

Having allergies, having had childhood asthma AND arthritis, and occasionally a migraine, I'm pretty sure that they DO exist. Also, the arthritis, and perhaps the other problems, were very likey a result of me having contracted a wonderful little thing called Kawasaki Syndrome when I was a kid.

Comment

Working...
                              X