• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• review of 746fx reference board

It looks good

Yes, it looks very good!

Comment

Got to have one when they are available from MSI
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

This is getting better, I'm thinking of moving to MSI's next SiS board from my K7S5A. I'd like something with better power hardware on it, but it's gotta have onboard LAN! Of course I'd like to see some board makers add the full 963 southbridge for Firewire, but I'll be happy with AGP 8x, USB 2.0 and the SiS Lan, no Realtek for me, thank you very much.
        Last edited by the maddman; 9 January 2003, 10:05.

Comment

Neat
          Also looking forward on MSI's 746FX board.

Meanwhile, ECS has updated their product page yesterday (I think yesterday the 746FX chipset was officially announced) with two new boards:
          the K7S7AG with integrated Xabre 200 graphics (SIS 746 ?)
          and L7S7A2 (SIS 746FX ?).

Anyone knows if the previously listed L7S7A is a 746FX or 746 ?
          Last edited by Admiral; 9 January 2003, 12:03.

Comment

Wow the ECS board is tiny compared to most modern motherboards, reminds me of an old BX or SS7 board

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Yeah, looks a bit (in size) like the MSI BX board I ditched last month.
              Compared to the L7S7A (or my current mobo), looks like they cut 1/3 of it.

Comment

Looks like a solid board. I just skimmed the article, but it seems to compete pretty well performance-wise, and since it's an SiS, probably price wise as well. I didn't recall seeing any screenshots of multiplier adjustments in the BIOS, and a DID see some dip switches on the board...are they for multiplier manipulation?

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                  Neat
                  Also looking forward on MSI's 746FX board.

Meanwhile, ECS has updated their product page yesterday (I think yesterday the 746FX chipset was officially announced) with two new boards:
                  the K7S7AG with integrated Xabre 200 graphics (SIS 746 ?)
                  and L7S7A2 (SIS 746FX ?).

Anyone knows if the previously listed L7S7A is a 746FX or 746 ?
                  Looks good for an ECS board. But I'm thinking of waiting for an MSI, SiS chipset Athlon64 board

Comment

hm.....
                    I just wish there would be a legacy free version
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                      hm.....
                      I just wish there would be a legacy free version
                      For $25 I'll desolder the PS/2, serial and printer ports for ya, how's that?

Comment

But will you add some more USB and Firewire lovin'?
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
                          But will you add some more USB and Firewire lovin'?
                          Well if ECS does it right, there should be enough to hook up 6 USB ports, personally I want 2 in back and 4 up front though, but I'm sure I could add some lovin for extra $$$

Comment

DFI has the AS76 on their site as well....
                            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I am glad I put off buying a new board, the nforce 2 almost got me.

I will give it another month and see how the pins fall, the 746fx should get some real competion going.

I hope it does the multiplier unlocking thing like the nforce2, that and a stable 200+ fsb OC would be the clincher.

Quite interesting is that they say it will do 400 ddr with all dimm slots filled, I wonder if that is a typeo?

Comment

Working...
                              X