underclocking an old pentium 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underclocking an old pentium 200

im am trying to build a computer for all my old dosgames out of all the old hardware that was scattered around the house:

it has the following specs:

pentium 200mhz

64 mb ram(don´t know exactly what kind of ram, the kind the was normal before edo-ram)

panasonic floppy drive

abit ab-pr5 motherboard

seagate 1248 mb harddisk

soundblaster awe 64 gold

matrox mystique 4mb ram(with ram-upgrade)

nokia 21" monitor

enermax psu (with broken fan)

mini tower AT cabinet

I haven´t found a cdrom drive yet, Im working on it

ms dos 6.22

the only real problem is the broken fan on the psu, it is very hard to find a old compatible psu in the stores nowadays, so i was thinking about underclocking the cpu, and hope the cpu cooler would be effective enough(most dos-games doesn´t need 200 mhz anyway).

now, the question is how should I determine if it will work, how does an old pentium respond to heatproblems? does it just power-off without any damage or does it burst in flames, or is it just unstable?
    I don´t have any equipment to measure the temperature on the cpu.

another question is what i should try to underclock? if I only underclock the cpu I can get it down to 100 mhz and still keep the fsb at 66 mhz (1.5 * 66) or does the rest of the motherboard generate so much heat that it would make sense to run it at 75 mhz (1.5 * 50) with a fsb at 50 mhz (the cpu multiplyer won´t go lower than 1.5).

do any of you guys have any experience in underclocking old computers, and is able to provided me with some input and advices?
    Last edited by TdB; 8 January 2003, 13:28.
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

AT PSUs are not that hard to come by (~20-40€ for a 250w) but why don't you just change the fan in the old PSU?
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I don´t have a spare fan, doesnt PSU´s need special fans???

so far I have only checked danish online stores and they don´t sell AT PSU´s AFAICS.

BTW, how many watts should an optimal PSU for my dos-system have?

edit I just found one: http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13232

a 200 watt PSU.

is that powerfull enough for a p200 ?
      Last edited by TdB; 8 January 2003, 14:19.

Comment

I don´t have a spare fan, doesnt PSU´s need special fans???
        No!

BTW, how many watts should an optimal PSU for my dos-system have?
        Optimal? 1000 MW!

edit I just found one: http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13232

a 200 watt PSU.

is that powerfull enough for a p200 ?
        Yes!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

You can use a standard 80mm fan to swap out the one that's not working.

Comment

Re: underclocking an old pentium 200

Originally posted by TDB
            (don´t know exactly what kind of ram, the kind the was normal before edo-ram)
            /me pokes head round doorway:

It was called FPM (Fast-Page Mode) ram.

/me goes back to whatever I was doing before...
            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

well, I wasn´t exactly a hardware enthusiast back then(I just played the games)

Comment

I became hardware aware becuse my computer didn't play the games I wanted
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

PC Power and Cooling sells slim or regular AT power supplies online. May be a bit more than you want to spend, but the thing will probably last for many years. These guys make excellent products.

The price isnt as bad as I thought. $39.00 for a 230 watt slim. There is also a higher end Turbo-Cool 300 watt slim for $75.00, and a 400 watt for $169.00.

Comment

FPM has usually -70 (70ns) on the chips, and EDO usually -60 (60ns). theres also FPM at 60ns, but no EDO at 70ns.
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

True, Luckily at 200mhz it should be new enough that you don't need to worry about Parity and non Parity memory. Hmm, I think I still have some 1 meg 30 pin simms around here somewhere.
                      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
                        Optimal? 1000 MW!
                        For DOS must to be a huge Pentium II

Comment

Originally posted by Guru

Optimal? 1000 MW!
                          Yeah, really.. actually the surges from such a massive thing would probably fry everything on the board! And your electric bill? Heh..

Comment

A 1000MW PSU would most likley require it's own atomic plant yes whats your point!

Comment

My biggest problem is that on a good day you'll get 80% efficiency. 200MW of waste heat!!!!
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X