3D in Mandrake 9 slooooooow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D in Mandrake 9 slooooooow

Hi. I recently installed Mandrake 9 on my 2nd PC. It's a 1.2Ghz duron, 256M of RAM, and a hercules g2mx. Post-install, when I would run Tux Racer (a 3d game), it would run at about half a FPS. Even on the menu screen.

So natuarally I updated the drivers from Nvidia's site. I had to get some kernel mode driver, and it told me to get some GLX (?)thing as well. I installed both, and rebooted. The Xserver wouldn't come up. So I uninstalled the GLX rpm, rebooted, and everything was peachy.

Loaded tuxracer again...same thing.

The only thing I'm thinking is that maybe the drivers are too new or something?

When you installed both, did you remember to uncomment the GLX line in the XF86Config?

Also, did you make sure DRI Was commented out?

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
      When you installed both, did you remember to uncomment the GLX line in the XF86Config?

Sure didn't. What am I supposed to do?

Also, did you make sure DRI Was commented out?
      I'm new to this...dunno what DRI is...care to elaborate?

Comment

First of all, you'll need that "GLX thing" for your gfxcard to be able to talk to the X-server with hardware accelerated OpenGL.

Second, edit your XF86Config and look for:

Load "glx"

and make sure it's active (uncommented). You can usually find XF86Config in /etc or /etc/X11.

Could you also please post the output of the X-server when you try to start it? It would be interesting to see where it fails.

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk
          First of all, you'll need that "GLX thing" for your gfxcard to be able to talk to the X-server with hardware accelerated OpenGL.

Second, edit your XF86Config and look for:

Load "glx"

and make sure it's active (uncommented). You can usually find XF86Config in /etc or /etc/X11.

Could you also please post the output of the X-server when you try to start it? It would be interesting to see where it fails.
          Well, like I said, at the moment it no longer fails, since I uninstalled the GLX rpm. BUT I think there may have been GLX drivers there before that I was overwriting, and when I took out nvidia's, it reverted back to some other GLX drivers (or so it said). I'll try the above and get back to you...

Comment

check nvidia's site. they have instructions for doing the correct changes, one includes change NV to nividia or something similar in the XF86Config-4 file. If you don't do it, it simply won't work(been their done that)

Comment

Working...
            X