Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRRRRR, damn NT kernel...

I can't take it anymore.
    It's happen to me on many different hardware setups, ranging from P3's to Athlons, and even a P4.

Happens in two different OS's so far... Win2K and WinXP...

I'll come back to my PC, which I left in a stable condition. It will be locked, so I'll unlock it...

and it will just sit at my wallpaper. My windows/taskbar/etc don't come back. I can move my mouse, my num+caps lock keys light up the lights on the keyboard, but that's it.

CTRL+ALT+DEL won't work.
    Right clicking won't work.
    I can do NOTHING but move my mouse around, and light up the "Lock" LEDs.

WHY? And more importantly, how do i fix it?

On a simliar note, does anyone know any programs that allow you to kill a Windows program or process from the command line? If so, maybe I could telnet in and kill certain things, etc.

Comment

It's more likely your system or a combination of your system and the Operating System. It could be powersaving. Try turning it off. Or a piece of your hardware could be bad or just not compatable with a particular Operating System's power saving method. This happens all the time at the one school where I do work. Turn off power saving and these machines can last several days without a crash and this is Windows 98SE.

Also are you using a screensaver that came with Windows or one you downloaded?

Edit: I reworked my answer as I realized part of it did not make sense.
      Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 5 January 2003, 20:55.

Comment

Well, I DO have some power saving crap on, but I need some of it...
        here are my settings:
        Plugged in/Batteries
        Turn off Monitor: After 3 hours/After 15 mins
        Turn off hard disks: Never/After 30 mins
        System Standby: Never/Never

whaddya think?

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
          It's more likely your system or a combination of your system and the Operating System. It could be powersaving. Try turning it off. Or a piece of your hardware could be bad or just not compatable with a particular Operating System's power saving method. This happens all the time at the one school where I do work. Turn off power saving and these machines can last several days without a crash and this is Windows 98SE.

Also are you using a screensaver that came with Windows or one you downloaded?

Edit: I reworked my answer as I realized part of it did not make sense.
          My screensaver is "blank".

I dunno about it being a combo of my system and the OS...like I said, I've seen it happen on very different PCs (not a peice of hardware in common), with both Win2K and WinXP.

Comment

Sounds like something isn't coming out of standby correctly.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Right, but the only thing that should be shutting down on AC power EVER is my monitor...

Comment

Same motherboard out of interest???
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah, it happened on my asus a7v133. But like I said, it's happened on P3's an P4's as well. So it's not CPU/chipset specific.

Comment

Does it happen when plugged in and on batteries? Since it has happened on many system I am at a loss. Obviously a notebook shouldn't have those problems. I have used over a dozen 2k systems and a pair of XP systems as well. Is your power cord secure? Could it be popping out unexpectedly?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                      On a simliar note, does anyone know any programs that allow you to kill a Windows program or process from the command line? If so, maybe I could telnet in and kill certain things, etc.
                      http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm
                      From the website: PrcView is a process viewer utility that displays detailed information about processes running under Windows. For each process it displays memory, threads and module usage. For each DLL it shows full path and version information. PrcView comes with a command line version that allows you to write scripts to check if a process is running, kill it, etc.

Have fun.. (did I forget to mention that it is free binary download?)
                      ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

I ran into a problem where my power supply wasn't powerful enough, and when the system came out of standby and woke all the components up, the system froze. It went away when I removed a hard drive or hooked in a larger power supply.
                        P=I^2*R
                        Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                          Does it happen when plugged in and on batteries? Since it has happened on many system I am at a loss. Obviously a notebook shouldn't have those problems. I have used over a dozen 2k systems and a pair of XP systems as well. Is your power cord secure? Could it be popping out unexpectedly?
                          Well, i have a UPS, so it's almost never on battery. Cables all seem secure.

BTW, happened again JUST NOW. It's REALLY annoying. 2x in 2 days. WTF???!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2Whyzzi
                            http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm
                            From the website: PrcView is a process viewer utility that displays detailed information about processes running under Windows. For each process it displays memory, threads and module usage. For each DLL it shows full path and version information. PrcView comes with a command line version that allows you to write scripts to check if a process is running, kill it, etc.

Have fun.. (did I forget to mention that it is free binary download?)
                            VERY cool! Thanks much.
                            However I doubt this will solve my problem because I probably won't be able to log in remotely when it's "frozen". Worth a shot tho. Anyone know of a good, free SSH server for winxp?

Comment

Working...
                            X