System upgrade recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System upgrade recommendations

Finally going to upgrade my aging system to something that isn't listed as the "Minimum Requiremens" on everything Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'd like to upgrade the motherboard, processor, and memory (depends on the mb really), and whatever else I can afford. Basically I'd like to see what everyone thinks as far as upgrades/new components go.

To give everyone an idea of what I'm dealing with now, here are my system specs:

Pentium II 350MHz
    ASUS P2-B
    256MB SDRAM (2 DIMMS)
    Maxtor 40GB HD, 10GB HD (7200 RPM)
    LITE-ON 40x12x48x CD-RW, Memorex 48x CD-ROM
    Nvidia GeForce2 Ti
    Impression 7Plus 17" (Generic Delta DC-770)
    3Com Etherlink XL TX, Kingston EtherRx KNE111TX (came with DSL modem)

Running Windows XP Pro if that matters any.

I'm not particular on processors, though if I went with an Intel I'd rather a motherboard that doesn't require RDRAM. Everything else if pretty much up for debate. I'd like to stay around $500/US for everything, but if it's worth it I might be able to convince my wife I need more
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Wow. At that point, I wouldn't upgrade. I'd probably just go for a second system.

Chieftec Dragon case: $56 shipped
    Athlon 1600XP: $50(OEM)
    512MB DDR stick: $125-$150
    DVD drive: $50
    SiS745 board: $65
    NIC: $20
    Radeon 8500: $90
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, either or works, everything I upgraded was going to be put into a new system anyhow. Thanks for the prices.

Comment

Wombat you forgot the cooler!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I can see it now:
          Originally posted by Wombat
          Chieftec Dragon case: $56 shipped
          Athlon 1600XP: $50(OEM)
          512MB DDR stick: $125-$150
          DVD drive: $50
          SiS745 board: $65
          NIC: $20
          Radeon 8500: $90
          Having the CPU not burn itself to death on power-up: priceless.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot the cooler, but those are like $10. I didn't feel like typing forever. I also left out the keyboard and mouse, but that doesn't mean I thought he should just stare at it once it powers up :P
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

And a monitor! You could always buy a switchbox for the mouse keyboard and monitor!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Instead of a 1600+ Palomino why not a 1700+ TBred (~15$ more ?), PC2700 memory and have an attempt at 166/166 fsb ?

edit: What are you planning on doing with the old CPU, mobo, memory and vid card ? You might get some extra cash for the upgrade by selling them.
                Last edited by Admiral; 5 January 2003, 14:34.

Comment

I was thinking he could wrangle some more $$$ from the wife if he manages to get a "hers" computer.

Comment

But that doesn't mean I thought he should just stare at it once it powers up :P
                    Once you power up an AMD w/out a fan you won't see anything, because it will blow up

Comment

I was thinking he could wrangle some more $$$ from the wife if he manages to get a "hers" computer.
                      LOL The wife has a Dell laptop. As far as the left-overs go, not sure what I'm going to do with them. I've got the mouse, keyboard, monitor (would like a 19" or 21", but I don't see it happening this time around), and some of the basic stuff covered.

Definately can't forgot the cooler.

Comment

@Jesterzwild: Your currect basic setup looks really like my P2 system see sig. note: except my G200 has better 2D than ur Ti haha but when it comes to 3d.......

ever think of getting Hammer? or is it out of the budget limit?

Comment

For you people with same CPU:

How successful was your o'cing?

My PII 350 is rock solid (Memtest86, 3DMark, Prime95 Torture test) at 467 (133FSB) and boots into Windows NT (but locks up) at 490 (140FSB)

Macase 300W, Zalman Silent case fan, PII 350 @467 (stock cooler) 38°C full load/29° idle, DFI P2XBL B+, Micron 512MB PC133 CAS2, WDCAC28004 (8.4/5400), Teac CDR 56S, Teac CD-ROM 532S, Philips 36 ATAPI, Teac Floppy, G400 16SH, SB64PCI, Adaptec 2904, USR V90 ISA modem

Comment

Kinda unrelated, but what would everyone recommend for a good digital camera? Nothing too cheap, but then nothing top of the line either, just a reliable one that can capture print quality images. Something in the $200-$500 range.

Comment

I have the Olympus C4040Zoom. Quite nice 4 Megapixel camera. Dunno about the actual price though, it might be a bit above $500.
                              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                              My System
                              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                              German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                              X