Marvel G400+vcd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G400+vcd

Has anyone ever made a decent vcd or svcd from analog video captured with a marvel G400. because I seem to be getting noware for a very long time.......
    its easy enough to make them but I want good quality, I can convert DVD's to vcd and get really good pics using dvdx why cant I make my own video's as good quality.
    I have a copy of videowave5 and a trail of ulead video studio.
    the latter having had the most success with a svcd, It seemed like the refresh rate went slow in places.
    I think its to do with what codec is used and as the marvel uses mjpeg I seem to go round in circles getting s**t all the time.
    Also I have a very lot of trouble with software capturing through the marvel,they capture one then lose the vid cap driver.
    what I'm after is what drivers and vid tools,what soft ware is best
    and what codec I should use.
    I'm in UK pal land.
    running win millenium after failing with XP(cheers Matrox).
    P3 gig
    ata66 hd's
    any other hints and tips would be appreciated...

In my Win98 days I had good results with my Marvel: capture hardware MJPEG with AVI_IO, frameserve with VirtualDub, convert to VCD with TMPGEnc.
    Since XP I ditched MJPEG and now capture YUY2 (HuffYUV codec). Rest of the procedure still the same. CanĀ“t capture more than 352x288 with HuffYUV, though...
    VCD quality still excellent for home use.

landrover
    -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
    2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    Matrox Parhelia 128
    Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
    Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
    Maxtor 300 GB for video
    Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
    Win XP Pro

At work:
    Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
    Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

thank you land rover for your reply.have been experimenting with different setting and and getting different results.I dont have the programs you use so I can't copy you.best results I had was capture mjpeg with matrox vcr.bring in to video wave to edit and convert from mjpeg.then use nero to create a svcd.I seem to loose quality when creating vcd's.the picture goes pixely like its been done with nearest naibourhood and no filters like biqubic filters which I use in dvdx when converting dvd,s to vcd.when I do this I get excellent results...does ulead video studio6 have filters to use because I can make my vcds easy but I loose all my quality...any hints would be appreciated.
      Jim.uk

Comment

Do you use TMPGEnc to convert your AVI's to mpg? I had a lot of trouble getting good quality VCD's before I used it. Now all of my VCD's are silky smooth, at least as good as VHS, capturing with G400TV and hardware MJPEG in PC-VCR, then to VirtualDub for any editing, then frameserve to TMPGEnc and convert using the "Video CD (PAL)" template in TMPGEnc. I have never had a pixelly VCD ever, doing it this way.

Graham

Comment

There you go, Jimbo. Amen to Graham. As you see, TMPGEnc is THE encoder to go for and does make the difference between good and bad VCDĀ“s.

landrover
          -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
          2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
          Matrox Parhelia 128
          Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
          Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
          Maxtor 300 GB for video
          Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
          Win XP Pro

At work:
          Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
          Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

am I doingsomthing wrong? I captured mjpeg 352x288 using matrox vcr. did'nt edit just to test the set up.opened TMPGEnc selected vcd pal,opened my file and just klicked next until it started encoding.the out put and picture I see when its encoding is just a black screen with a grid of white dots on it. the sound is fine. ps whats frameserve. I tried 3 different TMPGEnc versions.

Comment

Jimbo, it seems to me that what you need is a software-capture solution, altough you shoud get enough quality to make a vcd from matrox mjpeg. First, you shoud search the MURC for old messages, 1999/2000 - there you will find the discussion about the driver/videotools combo you should use under win98, and also the advantages of each one, all had been discussed till exaustion. After that, download and install. Then, grab these 4 aplications:
              1- AVI_IO - small aplication to capture video, allows no drop frames and perfect a/v sync;
              2- virtualdub - very good to edit you capture files;
              3- TMPEGenc - the best to make vcd;
              4- Hufyuy video codec - a lossless video codec, produces very large files(8/9 mb/sec) but it doesn't "charge" your cpu and it's the best(I think) to edit and recompress.

Capture with avi_io, use Hufyuy as video codec(compressor) and edit with virtualdub. The final avi file should be compressed with TMPEGenc. Burn it with Nero. Seems I'm making a cake

Asus A8N-E
              Opteron 146
              2x512mb Gkill
              Seagate SATA 120 gb
              Plextor Premium/LG GSA-4167B
              Matrox Parhelia APVe
              Echo Mia soundboard

Comment

I make VCD's using G400 and Rainbow Runner G...

and prior to that the G200 and RRG.....
                into MJPEG at 704x576 (PAL) or 352x288...

But - and here's the catch - I use Premiere.....yes - very slow, but I've never become familiar with MSPro (even though its reportedly much faster).

I have tried what you are doing and encoding directly through TEMPGEnc 1 versions and found the pixelation + interlacing a chore to get around a- soopeted to continue with Prem.

Prem also alows me to add my logo, clip out the black top and bottoms to focus the encoding onto the main mvement area and remove the overscan. My choice I guess.

Anyway - try the new TEMPGEnc 2.5 which suses out your interlace etc through the wizard - I found this very neat and with a deinterlace from the 704x576 format seemed reasonable.
                I dont think the 352x288 is interlaced (some time ago).

When exporting from Premier - it stuffs up the field basing for some reason mordrid could explain, so I select the clip in the timeline and video>force deinterlace and export 704x576 to TMPGEnc via AVISynth. Quality is excellent and better than anything else I have tried - I like the comment above to describe the quality - "silk smooth" very little pixelation if any.

Anyway - that's all I can offer = it seems you're pretty new to this video thing - Some of the people here have been doing for years and will tell you , at least for the next couple of years a decent "Standard encoding format" plug and play - no hassles - easy peasy - solution wont be available and you'll have to suffer the same trial and error path we went down.

Hang in there...

my2c

Comment

Hi jimbo7979,

You quoted:
                  "I see when its encoding is just a black screen with a grid of white dots on it"

To solve this in TMPGEnc you have to go to Options, Environmental settings, VFAPI Plug-ins

Right click on AVI VFW and set priority to high.
                  Repeat this until it is right on top.

My template bitrate setting for MPEG-1 is 1400.

Regards,

Debbie
                  We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Thanks for all your help every one.
                    I had spent a lot of time messing with programs like video wave and it was all ok. edited fine and all that.but ask it to create a vcd
                    and it lost all its quality.Anyway getting good results now.
                    THANKS YOU ALL......

Comment

Working...
                    X