Multi-function printer advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-function printer advice

I'm looking at getting a multi-function printer, (Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier), for my home office, it doesn't need to be to fancy just reliable

My current short list is the following, any one here have any experience of these or have a better model to choose

Brother MFC-580
    Brother MFC-590

HP Officejet V40
    HP Officejet K80

The current favourite is the Brother MFC-590 as it's flat bed and uses individual colour cartridges.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Wow! I was just about to post this same kind of thing. I only need 3-in-1 (no fax).

I've never been impressed with Brother's stuff. I was trying to choose between HP & Canon. Why did you rule out Canon?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

HP's 3 in 1 is great as a standalone printer or copier....
      The software for scanning is
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        Why did you rule out Canon?
        When I looked before I didn't see a model which fitted the bill, just looked now and noticed this

Canon SmartBase MPC600F
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I just noticed Epson launched 2 all-in-ones: the CX3200 and the CX5200

The 5200 looks extremely sweet, espeiclly for $200 US. ($300 canadian)

Basic specs:

5760 x 1440 dpi
          22ppm
          1200x2400 48-bit scanning

check it out here http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...0&oid=24875246

But for the Con:

- no legal size paper scanning (like all others )
          - no USB 2.0

I think there is fax.. but you batter check it personally

I have been using Epson printers for a LLOOOOONGGG time... they never die on me. Pretty sure they are reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
            I think there is fax..
            Doesn't appear to have , seems pretty nice other than that.

Comment

My problem with Epson is that they tend to have the printer heads integrated with the printer. Everybody's heads clog, but if they're part of the ink cartridge, they can be replaced.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm going to start here.

Comment

Lexmark ink catridges are horrendously expensive over here so I've ruled them out.

Will read up on the others though

Comment

Taz, what about the HP 2210? I think it's based off of the latest HP printer tech, which we were excited about while I was there....

Right now I'm looking at the Canon Multipass F60.

Comment

Uhm, that's a definite posability

Shame it can only fax single pages, a sheet feeder would have made it about perfect.

Comment

the HP 2210 really does look good. too bad the scan resolution is limited to 600dpi horozontally (vertical is 2400). however, most of us probably won't need that resolution tho so it's probably fine. other than that it surely is a great all-in-one.

strange... i am actually looking for one too myself.

Comment

Carefull of the HP all in one's and Windows NT based os'es. We've got one at work, and as soon as you plug it in and load the drivers, the machine drops to it's knees. This machine is a P4-2.4 with DDR and it takes 25 to 35 mins to boot everyday. The user has to have her own stuff. so we gave up trying to fix it. We've added all multifunction devices to the "not supported" list after dealing with 3 of them, all problems as soon as you want more than printing.

Comment

Which particular models?

Comment

Unfortunatley, all of them. A user decompiled the code and found them using win16 calls that block in the driver, and reported it to HP and in the 8 months I followed it HP never responded or even acknowledged the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X