Lord of the Rings Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord of the Rings Q&A

As a public service to the MURC, I have decided to open up a thread for Questions and Answers regarding The Lord of the Rings. They can be movie or book related (or both).

If I can't answer your question, I'll defer to the Green Books staff... I'm no Anwyn or Quickbeam, that's for certain.

- Gurm

P.S. Green Books are found at The One Ring:

The latest Lord of the Rings on Amazon Prime news and info | The worlds and works of JRR Tolkien. TheOneRing.net - Online fan community since 1999

P.P.S. All of Tolkien's mythos is fair game.
    Last edited by Gurm; 4 January 2003, 17:38.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

How many characters are contained in all three volumes?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I haven't read the books. So after seeing TTT I have one question.

Here goes: Are the Ents capable to root themselves to the ground?

I know it's a silly question but the current was pretty strong...

Comment

I have not yet seen the film, but AFAIK, yes.
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Obvious you have not seen the film. According to your avatar, your head is cut off
          Last edited by Chrono_Wanderer; 4 January 2003, 11:59.

Comment

Gurm, does this go for LoTR only or for the Silmarillion as well?
            Umf
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Gurm, are you truly obsessed with LoTR??
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

do the ents actually have a face?
                no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

hehe, some of those questions will hopefully be answered later this year http://dvd.ign.com/articles/381/381227p1.html

my only question is why he only made three movies, not six 3-hour movies would have been nice

Comment

he only made three movies cos there are three books.
                    Secondly, i should think the people who pay for it all, would like to see some cash asap, and would like the minimum risk, ie less films.
                    Three films is just right. he hasn't missed anything, i think.

Gurm - Has anything from the first two books been left out in the films yet?
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666
                      he only made three movies cos there are three books.
                      Secondly, i should think the people who pay for it all, would like to see some cash asap, and would like the minimum risk, ie less films.
                      AFAIK there is 6 books, they were just published as 3 books, the publishers decision was purely financial, and had nothing to do with the story.
                      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

yep, there are 6 books, but they rolled 2 into 1 3 times

and yes, there is a lot of stuff that did not make it into the movie, but there are rumours that PJ's favoured cut of the first movie is almost 5 hours, and that some of the versions of the 2nd movie he suggested for theatrical release were more than 4 hours as well.

dont know how much of that is true, but maybe we will see it on DVD when all three movies are out, or maybe even in a couple of years, like star wars special edition, only much much longer

as for the ents, i think you can actually see them rooting themselves to the ground when they flood isengard

One question for Gurm: do the elves really come to the aid of the people in helms deep, or did PJ make that one up?

Comment

LotR Special Edition, 15 hours of non-stop Tolkien
                          Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
                            I haven't read the books. So after seeing TTT I have one question.

Here goes: Are the Ents capable to root themselves to the ground?

I know it's a silly question but the current was pretty strong...
                            Yes. In fact, the way they broke through the outer wall of Isengard is...

You know how tree roots will, over the course of years, crack stone?

Ents can do that in a splitsecond. They are trees "incarnate".

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                              Gurm, does this go for LoTR only or for the Silmarillion as well?
                              Umf
                              I'll TRY to help with Silmarillion. Tolkien's mythos in general, how's that?

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X