PDA

View Full Version : Status of Parhelia on Linux?

Steve Snyder
4th January 2003, 05:07
I haven't been paying attention to Matrox news for a couple of months, so I apologize in advance if this is a FAQ: What is the current state of Parhelia support on XFree86/Linux?

1. Are the 2D drivers stable in XFree86 v4.2.x? By "stable" I means a lack of crashes and/or video corruption.

2. Does Matrox support 3D in XFree86 v4.2.x yet? If not, have there been any recent announcements regarding this topic?

Thanks.

James_D
4th January 2003, 05:15
Originally posted by Steve Snyder
I haven't been paying attention to Matrox news for a couple of months, so I apologize in advance if this is a FAQ: What is the current state of Parhelia support on XFree86/Linux?

1. Are the 2D drivers stable in XFree86 v4.2.x? By "stable" I means a lack of crashes and/or video corruption.

2. Does Matrox support 3D in XFree86 v4.2.x yet? If not, have there been any recent announcements regarding this topic?

Thanks.

1: yep, at least for me they are way stable. Haven't crashed once., much better than the old ones..
2: No 3d support in the near future....

James.

albatorsk
6th January 2003, 08:55
There's still quite an amount of video corruption in X, for me. With the older drivers, it was extra apparent with GTK+-applications, but with the latest drivers it happens every now and then in quite a lot of applications, no matter toolkit they use.

And if we look at the releases of former drivers, we see that they happened almost exactly one month apart, but there was no release in December. I'm really hoping that's because they're working on a major revision of the driver, with perhaps hw-accelerated 3D.

leech
6th January 2003, 16:01
Originally posted by albatorsk
There's still quite an amount of video corruption in X, for me. With the older drivers, it was extra apparent with GTK+-applications, but with the latest drivers it happens every now and then in quite a lot of applications, no matter toolkit they use.

And if we look at the releases of former drivers, we see that they happened almost exactly one month apart, but there was no release in December. I'm really hoping that's because they're working on a major revision of the driver, with perhaps hw-accelerated 3D.

I'm hoping for this too. Been waiting madly for a new driver. Hopefully the infrequent corruption problems are fixed as well. I generally only use GTK 1 and 2, so haven't really noticed the corruption in anything else.

Leech

albatorsk
16th January 2003, 22:57
Check this (http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum2/HTML/002009.html) out! My suspicion may have been correct ;)

WyWyWyWy
19th January 2003, 23:50
I'm told the corruption is due to Xinerama :O
And it happens on G400 too, or so I'm told.

albatorsk
20th January 2003, 04:13
No, it has nothing to do with Xinerama. I don't use Xinerama, and I sometimes experience heavy corruption.

leech
23rd January 2003, 04:25
I don't use Xinerama either. And actually the bug with Xinerama and corruption is also due to something in GTK, I remember seeing that on a gnome-devel board, don't recall exactly where though.

Mine just happens kind of randomly, it's not neccessarily under heavy load or anything. I've noticed it only happens to me when I scroll horizontally in a whindow, but usually it goes away as soon as I 'shadow' the window with the title bar.

Leech

WyWyWyWy
23rd January 2003, 04:53
Does it only happen with multi-head setup?
Because I can only use one monitor under Redhat and there is no corruption for me :O

GehRehmee
23rd January 2003, 12:46
http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum2/HTML/001726.html

As noted, it's not so much a problem with gtk as it is a problem with XRender.