Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Via KT400??

OK, I'm building a PC for the Wife...

I've been looking at a KT400-based solution...how badly will I suffer for this chipset?
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

If you're looking for a trouble free Athlon chipset get a SIS745. Don't go near via boards.

Comment

I've been running my new KT400 mobo for a week now, and have not had a single problem with it.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hmmm...
        I have been using VIA KT400 (ASUS A7V8X) now for some time, and I have abselutely no problems with this chipset, I have no problems recomanding you this ASUS board.

If you want the best chipset for a Athlon, I would recomand a board based on nVidia nForce 2

Comment

I agree with GDI.. I have a Nforce2 at home and a KT400 at uni... same processor, and the Nforce2 is a tad faster. (have a amd 2400 at both locations.)

James.

Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Normal use should be fine, but if you plan to do NLE w/cards like rtx... then you are looking for trouble. Their PCI controllers are buggy. (also AFAIK it's hard to OC PCI without OCing your AGP+IDE correct me if i am wrong here)

however, as i said before normal use should be fine, especially if you are looking for tonnes of features found on KT400.

BTW for any athlon solution don't get Asus. Both my A7A266 and A7S333 sucks, although their P4 boards are good. If you have money to throw at then pick up a gigabyte or MSI. If you get P4 then go for Asus or Intel (the black PCB retail i845PE version).

BTW is Abit boards still suffering from leaked/poor quality capacitors?

Comment

Hmmm....

I have used ASUS A7V, A7V133, A7V266-E, A7V333 and now I'm using A7V8X for Athlon processors, and I have never had any problems. It has alway been stable. I have a PCI SCSI controller, and I don't have any problems with the PCI bus!

Comment

i have one of the worse board made by asus: the A7A266. Me and my friend brought it at around the same time. We both have lots of troubles with it, especially the ide controller. This is probably due the the buggy ALi M1647 bridge. Then I swapped to an A7S333... it keeps restarting for no reason until you manually set the memory ratio to 1:1 instead of Auto. My eXperience is their intel boards are better than their AMD boards... especially the P2B. Best board ever!!!!

edit: don't get me wrong. I really do love asus boards. but recently their quality are lacking (just the abit after the PII age) i guess VIA chips are still kind of like "high-end" chipsets for AMD platform tho... they usually cost more than SiS/ALi
                Last edited by Chrono_Wanderer; 4 January 2003, 11:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                  especially the P2B. Best board ever!!!!
                  Agreed!

Comment

damn... can't keep up ur posting pace

Comment

The A7N8X seems to be a good board as well...
                      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

A7N8X -- Argghh.. me and my friends are waiting for that board for more than a month here in singapore. One of the two main distributers for AMD has moved out causing a massive shortage of CPUs @ XP2000 and below. XP2200 is just a bit too expensive for an average system. The Asus Distributer has taken a wait and see stand. Hope everything is settled by the end of the month else i might just go with an MSI for making my neighbour's pc.
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Working...
                        X