Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Matrox think the P is made of Gold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Matrox think the P is made of Gold?

Okay, I admit it. I like the idea of running 3 monitors off of one card, and I would love to buy a Parhelia (regardless of the issues surrounding it) for a reasonable price. So, I've been patiently waiting for the price of a retail card to drop to around $250. Given the nature of the PC industry, is it too much to expect that 6 months after the card's release, the price would have fallen? I think the cycle usually works by getting the real enthusiasts to pay the premium when a product is first released, and then gradually lowering the price to get some of the less committed people to buy. But appearantly Matrox doesn't see it this way.

I don't know, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are there any expectations that a price drop will be coming any time soon? Or does Matrox believe that everyone is going to fall in love with Surround Gaming once the GeForce FX is released?

I don't know, maybe Matrox doesn't have any choice....maybe their research indicates that a price drop won't do anything for sales...

i dont think the competition on the areas that a matrox card is used is that big. they have a little monopoly. so when they dont get any competition, they dont see the need of droping the price to get customers.

at least thats what i think

Comment

well, if it is any hint, the g400max kept its original price forever.

edit: just checked it is still more expensive than a ati 9500 pro!
      Last edited by TdB; 3 January 2003, 14:05.
      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Sounds logical...though if that is indeed their thinking, I believe they are wrong. $399 is an absolute premium on every other consumer level card (I know that the card can actually be purchased for US$350) and I believe most consumers will judge the card based on it's relative price. Relative to what you get from other cards, the P is very expensive.

Comment

So, I've been patiently waiting for the price of a retail card to drop to around $250.
          Oh really? That's what mine is going for! How convenient!
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
            You would not happen to be a insurance salesman would you?
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Matrox cards are like old paintings. In years their price don't drop, but grow. If you buy a Parhelia today, you will be a rich man in future.
              At least Matrox thinks this way

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking...
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Except that I was serious. I posted mine the other day, $250 obo.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Except that I was serious. I posted mine the other day, $250 obo.
                    http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38816
                    Yeah, I noticed that before and was thinking the same thing...
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TDB
                      just checked it is still more expensive than a ati 9500 pro!
                      Just checked and it is more expensive than a BBA 9700 PRO!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                        Just checked and it is more expensive than a BBA 9700 PRO!!
                        it probably differs from country to country.

in denmark a g400max costs 2/3 of a parhelia 128(retail)!
                        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Relative to what you get from other cards, the P is very expensive.
                          ummm.... riiight, because other cards have SOO many more features than the P for the price.... i think when you consider what you get from the P it is cheap. there are NO other cards that offer surround gaming right? so when you think about it, they can charge whatever the h3ll they want! theres no competition! dont get me started on that topic, cuz i could go on and on....
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

too many people judge video cards purely on fps, heres an anology: you could have an old crap car that is hella ugly, but with a v8 in it, and it goes fast straight forward and thats it (aka ati9700pro etc), OR, you could have the "matrox of cars" which would be a limo or a bently or something, while it may not be as fast, the options and features on it are amazing. and which costs more? the limo or the bently. why? BECAUSE ITS A BETTER FRIGGIN CAR(D)!!
                            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

so when people complain that 400, is too much for the P, particularly compared to other cards, stop and think about what the cards actually offer, before you make such claims.

Comment

Working...
                              X