Camcorders and US Satellite TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camcorders and US Satellite TV

I've been researching some stuff that the lady and I are going to get soon. Namely...camcorders and satellite TV. I thought I'd pool the general knowledge of MURC to see which one people prefer:

Camcorders

MiniDV vs. Digital8? Which one is better?

Brand preference, if any? Panasonic, Sony, Canon...

Features you think are absolutely necessary?

US Satellite TV

DirecTV vs. Dish Network

Which one has a better picture quality? Better equipment?

My thoughts

From my research, I haven't had time to go to the stores and compare them myself, people say there is no differnce is playback quality from a miniDV and Digital8 tape. Digital8 is simply cheaper. Though some will say MiniDV tapes last longer with less dropouts...I don't know.

As for brands, I'm a fan of Panasonic stuff. I've used a Canon digital camera before and really liked it. Sony is known for good cameras, too. I think Panasonic gives you the most bang for the buck, but they only use the more expensive MiniDV tapes.

As for satellite...I'm kind of split. Both have all the programming I want for about the same price. Dish only lets you use their proprietary equipment, while DirecTV gives you the option of several manufatures - although, many of them may just be remarked generic equipment.

I used to have a quasi-DirecTV system before, and I thought a lot of channels were too compressed. On the Dish TV's they didn't look compressed at all...most of the time. But things may have changed since I've seen DirecTV last.

Lastly, DVR...both offer built-in DVR, but DirecTV uses TiVo, so they tag on an extra $5 a month for TiVo, unless you buy the expensive premium package. Dish on the other hand has a very inexpensive DVR at no extra cost per month. ...but once again, I can get a TiVo DirecTV box that I can work with, while the Dish is all proprietary...

Decisions, decisions...insight anyone?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Well with camcorders personally i would go with the miniDV if only for the reason that (and I'm guessing you're using this for home movie type stuff) you want to keep those memories for quite a while. The Digitial8 quality goes down the tubes with each play, simular to the VHS. So while more expensive, i guess you have to ask yourself what is sentiment worth to you?? As far as a brand I have to admit that I like the Sony, if only for their consitantly good product, though I hear that panasonic is good too.

DVR: I'm personally unimpressed with this system of recording. I don't have it, but what I've heard is that they don't allow you to view the show that you recorded anywhere but the original machine that it was recorded on, but you may want to look into that...

Anyway hope maybe that helps a little...

~Sethos

PS. a friend of mine has satalite tv which fails at any semi-major storm, and so he's going back to cable... may check on that too...
    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

There are a couple of specialty channels (not p0rn related you pervz) that we want that our local cable does not offer...so cable is out. I have a friend with Dish sat. TV who gets such an awesome signal in my area that it rarely ever goes out.

DVR: I don't plan on playing anything back beyond the confins of my living room so...otherwise I would setup a home theater PC with DVR functionality.

JAmmrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
      X