USB issue in win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB issue in win2k

Decided XP eats too much ram and just switched to 2k SP3.

I have a USB mouse and whenever I boot the system the unplug/eject hardware icon appears in the system tray and the mouse is not working. I pull the plug and insert it back and it works.
    Could it be because I installed the SIS AGP drivers by using the SIS installer instead of doing it manually ?
    Remember reading somewhere that beside the AGP driver the installer also does something on the USB side ?
    It doesn't seem to load anything at startup, at least there's no entry related.
    I tryed deleting everything under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall it, no go.
    Also, the USB keyboard support is disabled in the mobo bios.
    The SIS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller shares IRQ with my Realtek RTL8139 NIC, could it be any problem ?

The IRQ sharing should not cause any trouble (my USB shares with VGA)...

Strange...
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Hmm, how interesting. I would try removing the Realtek card, and see if it solves the issue. That strikes me as odd, that if you unplug it, plug it back in it works.

Let me know if removing the card fixes the solution. Stupid question, but you have Plug and Play OS set to yes right?
      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Didn't go as far as removing the NIC, just disabled it from device manager and checked the IRQ list (was gone), no improvement.
        I don't seem to have a Plug and Play OS or PnP OS option in the bios (my old BX board had).

Comment

I don't remember if it has one or not. I've never had significant troubles with 2K, but is there a safe mode? Can you remove entries there?

Comment

Got two laptops at work that do that. Plugged it into a hub and the mouse always works.
            However we have an epson scanner that disappears when it feels like it whether it's in a hub or not. The only solution is to move to another port and it redetects it or reboot the laptop.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No suspect or SIS related startup entries in safe mode either.
              Moving it on the second USB, stutters bad

Comment

I've never heard of 2k having flakey vid key problems like 9x, but it's worth a 30 second look.

Don't have a 2k setup handy right now, but assuming it's in the same location as xp:

hkey local machine\system\current control set\enum\usb

check/edit the mouse parameters in the vid key and delete any phantom device keys, or just delete the key/keys, reboot and let 2k redetect from scratch to see if that clears it up
                Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB in 2k.

Comment

It wouldn't let me delete the two Vid keys even though I have disabled the USB controller altogether in the bios and deleted the USB controller from device manager in safe mode while using a PS2 mouse (the USB one was unpluged).

It behaves like when trying to delete the reg keys while the USB mouse is still installed and shows in device manager, though there's no trace of it there.

Comment

There is a USB thingy in the FULL sis AGP driver install, it is worth installing.

What kind of mouse is it?, I have has similar problem on a different computer, which was fixed by just installing the latest mouse software(logitech).

Comment

Some old crappy Genius 2 button mouse that's live and kicking for almost 3 years now. Didn't came with any drivers just said plug it and Windows will do the rest.
                        And it did untill now, I had no issues with it in XP or 98 with my current SIS mobo and with the old BX absolutely no problems in 98, ME, 2k and XP.

Problem is I threw away the package and don't even know what model it is now, was written on the package
                        Though, as I remember, the last time I wanted to find a driver for it (a year or so back) on Genius' driver page it was listed but didn't have any drivers for d/l, just an explanation that you don't need drivers for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                          Some old crappy Genius 2 button mouse that's live and kicking for almost 3 years now. Didn't came with any drivers just said plug it and Windows will do the rest.
                          And it did untill now, I had no issues with it in XP or 98 with my current SIS mobo and with the old BX absolutely no problems in 98, ME, 2k and XP.

Problem is I threw away the package and don't even know what model it is now, was written on the package
                          Though, as I remember, the last time I wanted to find a driver for it (a year or so back) on Genius' driver page it was listed but didn't have any drivers for d/l, just an explanation that you don't need drivers for it.
                          Same mouse here same problem.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Someone's got to explain this to me.
                            I have 2 USB ports comming out of the motherboard and a connector on the motherboard that allows for another 2 port extension.
                            I got 2 USB controllers and 2 Root HUBs listed in Device Manager.
                            2 USB controllers showed as sharing IRQ with the Realtek NIC:

11 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
                            11 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

I disabled the Serial ports in the bios and freed IRQs 3 & 4, one of the controllers got moved:

11 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
                            3 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

Everything works now so in the end it turned out it was a IRQ sharing problem
                            Last edited by Admiral; 7 January 2003, 07:34.

Comment

Guess what? Genuis mouse at work under win2k sp3 and the mouse keeps on disappearing. Sounds like buggy win2k or buggy Genuis.
                              Last edited by The PIT; 7 January 2003, 07:59.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X