What card to record sat tv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What card to record sat tv

I'm putting together a pc for my wifes father.
    The spec needs to be able to record satellite channel programmes (not sky) onto hard disk then distribute them in video-cd format via cd-rom.

Can you give me some good suggestions for a video card with a good timed recording/editing suite/cd creation facility.

I have a budget of uk £1000 inc vat. for the project.

I can set up a game or business pc with my eyes closed but have never done a av setup before.

Note: this is a legitimate business and has been running using video cassettes for a number of years, it will be cheaper and faster to use cd/dvd as the medium is a lot cheaper to buy, faster to record and cheaper to post.

Thanks, (I can always trust those at MURC!)

Breezer
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Mayby you'd have a bigger chance of great advice in Desktop Video ?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

dodgy p0rn flicks?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Not this time paddy, progs are broadcast over satellite for distribution via video tape.
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

This any use?

That's for digital satellite, if it's analogue presumably any TV tuner card would work?

Comment

Thats just the one i was thinking of.
            WinTV DVB-S
            If u need a decoder card, you have to add the decoder card module. Which is somewhere around £60.

("WinTV Nova" also, think thats the Analogue one, but they seemed to have pulled it here...everyones going Digital)
            If u already have the Sat receiver, all you need is a good video input: Either Digital or Analogue.
            Analogue can be done via the Yellow Composite input on just about any TV Tuner card.
            I'm not sure if S-Video is Digital or not....Some of the VIVO cards have both Composite and S-Video inputs. You would have to check the quality beforehand tho.
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I don't know how much the satellite scene differs between the US and the UK, but here you can only record satellite using analouge. Only special satellite boxes with built in TiVo's (digital video recorder (DVR), don't know if the UK has them under that brand) can record the actual digital signal and play it back.

The easiest way would be to get a good video capture card with DVR functionality. Then run your stanard analouge outputs from satellite to the capture card and then into the TV.

Some of the more higher end cards even have remotes

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

in Europe virtually all digital satellite conforms to DVB-S standard, which allows for direct capturing of the MPEG-2 stream transmitted from the satellite (that is, if it's unencrypted, or if you have a DVB-S card with common interface module and an appropriate decryptor smartcard).

Comment

Very cool. That will never happen in the US because of the entertainment industry lobbiests. They are the reason why HDTV has taken so damn long to come out, because of all the anti-piracy garbage they want added to HDTV broadcasts and signals to prevent piracy.

Yeah right...like any of that has ever stopped pirates in the past.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                  X