No announcement yet.

harddisk clone for testpurposes: how ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harddisk clone for testpurposes: how ?

Hello,

This might be a bit of a complicated question, but bear with me... My brother has a pharmacy in which a computer-system (4 PCs, customized software) is running. Mainly for experimental purposes, he'd like to have a duplicate of his main computer on his portable. (there is no license issue in doing this, as the installation would still be used for the same pharmacy; I have verified it )

However, how do I go about to set this up ? His portable is running XP, the pharmacy-system is Win98 based.
    I was thinking of "cloning" the server's hardddisk, and then to set up a virtual PC on his laptop (using VMWare). The virutal PC would then have the exact same disks/partitions and run the same operating system.

The problem now is: how do I make a clone without installing software on the computer ? (has laptop is connected through the network) Here I though of sharing all the drives, and simply copy them over to a running VMWare (Win98) on the laptop. Would this work ?

Any other suggestions / hints / tips ?

Thanks !

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

have you considered a dual boot on the laptop? i feel it would be easier IF the laptop isnt NTFS...if it is you'll have to get a partitioning tool to creat an open partiton to install it on....Partiton Magic comes to mind but it's been years since i touched it last....
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I have thought about this, but I fear I might experience some driver issues. The laptop is a Compaq (not sure which model), but came factory-installed with Windows XP; IIRC, some devices are not properly supported in Win98. Running Win98 in a virtual machine clears this problem... (+ doesn't require keeping 2 installations of othere software, e.g. Office, ...)

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

if you can put the clone on a fat partition why does it matter if the modem/sound works? You need it to run a specific software...NOT be a fully internet capable system (under 98) right?
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

The dual-boot system could be a headache now, if it is still possible (which i'm not sure). AFAIK the Windows98 system files must be installed on the very first partition because of the boot sectors.
          But still, I also consider dual-boot as the best solution.

Comment

dual boot setup with xp already installed

It is possible to install win98 on fat32 partition after XP was installed. It isn't exactly easy, but with Partition Magic and the ability to edit the boot.ini and copy some system files around, it is possible. I managed to do it once, but would not recommend it. Easiest would be full data backup on notebook, partition drive for the win98 on first part, xp on the second part, install win98 first and install xp next.

check this entire thread:
            Find answers to Installing Win 98 after XP Pro (XP: NTFS, Win 98 Fat32) from the expert community at Experts Exchange
            Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Working...
            X