X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know of this camera?

Shopping for a DV cam, I came across this model:
    JVC JY-VS200U.

It is a discontinued model, but used to list at over 2000dollars. BHphoto has it for 899.00, and so I was doing a little reading. It is a single CCD camera, and though it claims to be professional, it is really a consumer level cam with a couple of pro features. In particular, it allows for an external mic.

I'm seriously considering it, but I wanted to solicite the opinions of those on this board. If you have any thoughts good or bad about this camera, either from experience or from insight, I'd welcome them.

Here is the link to the JVC website:

Here is the link to BHphoto:
    Shop Digital Cameras, 35MM Camera Equipment, Photography, Photo Printers, Computers, Home Theater, Authorized Dealer Canon, Sony, Nikon, Apple, Olympus, Panasonic, Kodak, JBL

Look forward to your comments
    CEM
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

One thing I definitely don't like about it is that both the tape and battery eject out the bottom of the camera.

This is not exactly handy if the cams on a tripod

Adam Wilts article on DV Central lists these pros & cons;
    Solid, compact, elegant design. This is the most robust-feeling

JVC (including the GY-DV500) I’ve used.

Automatic lens cover.

Huge LCD.

Progressive scan.

Simultaneous video and stills capture.

Fast manual focus.

Generally good control layout; good usability.

Dislikes

Excess edge enhancement. There should be a menu setting to increase or decrease it.

Harsh white clip with sudden color loss.

Checkerboard artifacts (exacerbated by the excess edge enhancement).

No true 16:9 mode. JVC, you’re already using a DVE to good effect with the proscan wide-angle mode. Why not use it to laterally compress a widescreen image using all 480 scanlines?

Lack of f-stop, gain setting indications.

No manual audio control.

Stiff, yet fragile-feeling, wobbly main mode switch.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 January 2003, 17:18.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

thnx for the reply.

Those are good points.

I did happen to see that review. Your citing of it certainly lends it credability in my book.

I'll debate this one for awhile, so please any and all feel free to add feedback...

CEM
      System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Working...
      X