Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very slow 2nd head. Why?

Hi all,

I'm using Parhelia retail with a 17" as primary and a 15" as secondary, with a TV as feature display too.

The problem I'm suffering is that, whatever graphic-intensive program(window) I move to the 2nd display it would slow down horribly, about 1fps.

Case study #1:
    I play a lot of emulator games, using FinalBurn. On my primary display it is very smooth (full screen) with constant ~30% CPU usage. But when I move the window to the 2nd display, CPU usage jumps up to 100% constant and it is about 1 to 1.5fps.

Case study #2:
    Tried some DirectX games. Played them in window mode and is very smooth on primary, but when I move it to 2nd OR maximise it across two displays, CPU usage = 100% and framerate = 1fps.

I have also tried stretch mode, same behaviour. It looks like the 2nd head is not accelerated at all to me.

What can I do?

Many thanks.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Anyone?
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Have you tried seting the card with only two head (without feature display) and disabling DVDMAX?

I think to recall that when using 3 heads the hardware acceleration (at least overlays) doesn't work.
      <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

Tried, no help

Comment

bump, in hoping that some knowledgeable people can answer me.

Comment

i get the same thign you are getting. I talked w/ matrox, they said they know some games are slow, but its really everything outputted clone, or to tv. If you ask about emulators, they say they don't support them, but i know on my g400max, that all my tvout ran smoothly relative to the card. Supposedly they sped some games up in the newest drivers, but i hear differently, hopefully they will fix it in the next set of drivers, but i dunno, nothing i tried sped it up.

Comment

Me not clone, but everything that involves directdraw or direct3d is very very slow on 2nd head

By the way... I can't suround gaming with 2 monitors
              Last edited by WyWyWyWy; 11 January 2003, 01:31.

Comment

so you can't do surround gamign at all? or u lose fps on your 2nd' and 3rd heads?

Comment

Every game where the 2nd is involved would be v slow, at the same time slowing down the 1st head too.

I don't have a third monitor atm so I can't test triple head.

Comment

that's odd, can't tell you much unless you try triplehead, u tried asking on matrox forums?

Comment

I tried to ask but at GMT timezone, everytime I post a msg it says forum is closed outside office hours

Must try harder now!

Comment

ahh, its the weekend, you can't post, you'll be able to post when the work week begins.

Comment

Are you using DH independant mode, or a stretched mode?
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

DH independent for now.

Tried stretch.

Comment

I would expect it to work better in stretched mode.
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X