Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spreading the sickness (dualhead addiction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spreading the sickness (dualhead addiction)

What's your score?
    How many people have you gotten hooked on multihead setups?

I'm at 3.5 at the moment.
    * A guy at my old job (Paid for a 2nd card for his box at work out of his own pocket... though I'm not sure if that $10 refurb Millenium 4MB counts)
    * My dad (gave him my old G400 after I got a P & he had an old screen sitting around in the basement)
    * My supervisor.
    * Another manager caught the bug from looking at my supervisor's rig (hence the 1/2). I helped him pick out a G550 & set it up.

We've got a pile of monitors sitting on the floor @ work, but the new guy is still resisting. A tail for a Radeon VE w/ one DVI and one analog output would help a lot...

On the downside, I'm behind the guy who spec'ed out the new media lab (I'm a programmer for a university). He put in a whole room full of dualhead graphics workstations in the basement, which will most likely result in dozens or hundreds of poor students wandering around with dual monitor withdrawl symptoms. OTOH, this probably won't result in all that many dualhead rigs until after they graduate.
    Mike

Keep up the good work !

I dont like going into work because I cant convince mine to get some more heads...... Ah well. I am starting a new post soon, and I will be responsible for some serious hardware procurement......

RedRed
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

I haven't actually got anyone to upgrade to DH yet, but loads of people's jaws just hit the floor when I drag a window from one monitor to the next...and then to the next when Mr P is in TH mode. The old 'wave hand between monitors' is a regular joke

Once drawback though: I often find myself trying to move the mouse pointer from the right-hand screen and down onto the PDA That would be way-cool. Perhaps someone could write an emulator for the pda that sits on one screen and constantly synchronises the pda?

T.
      FT.

Comment

Just my wife.
        Man is she spoiled.
        chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Erm... my score is -1 (me). I set up dualhead on my G400 a couple of months ago (under Linux) and found too many issues/limitations with it. 3D acceleration being disabled and noise on the video overlay were the main ones. (I'm guessing they're Linux/XFree86-specific problems). And then there was the space the second monitor took up. I didn't find a killer use to make me keep the dualhead setup. Although today I sit here with an unusually large number of windows open, screaming for more screen real-estate. Perhaps I'll give it another shot...

OTOH, a friend of mine is putting together a new PC, and on my suggestion he's getting (actually already got) a G450 specifically for the dualhead abilities. So maybe my score will be back up to zero soon.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
            Just my wife.
            Man is she spoiled.
            chuck
            Edit: deleted silly comment.
            Last edited by Fat Tone; 30 December 2002, 12:41.
            FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
              Edit: deleted silly comment.
              Dirty minded kids
              chuck
              Last edited by cjolley; 30 December 2002, 13:11.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

I need more monitors, I just added a G450 PCI to my G450 AGP
                "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I had to try it. Put a Mill 2 PCI in my Rig, and fired up a second monitor. Thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then after 1 month of never using the second monitor, Put it away. Guess I don't multitask enough to fill my 21", not to mention a second one.
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                    Dirty minded kids
                    chuck
                    Er - I just reread it and realised you weren't suggesting anything at all. I guess I do have a dirty mind. Sorry. I'll delete it.

T.
                    Last edited by Fat Tone; 30 December 2002, 12:40.
                    FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
                      Er - I just reread it and realised you weren't suggesting anything at all. I guess I do have a dirty mind. Sorry. I'll delete it.

T.
                      I wasn't suggesting anything, but of course I thought the thought. We all do.
                      No offense taken at all.
                      chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                      X