Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexplained webpage "activity" every so often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexplained webpage "activity" every so often?

Dont know if this is the relevant place to ask but here goes:

I normally arrive at MURC by using this link.

Yes in general, things go as planned and the page is up just about immediately on my screen - but - every now and again (perhaps once/twice a day?) , just the blue background will appear, and then my ADSL modem running at 512K, will get "revved" to the maximum (download only) for the best part of about 20 or 30 seconds with no progress on the page content getting retrieved, after wich the page eventually gets displayed correctly.

So now the question:

Anybody knows what is happening during that period?
    Only this site seems to be affected as I have not noticed it anywhere else.
    Lawrence

Has it only started recently? I have been making a few mods to the page that you don't usually see? so with a time line I might be able to track down what it is.

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Hi Dan

Yes its fairly recent if memory serves - I would have to guess its about 2 weeks now.

This post for instance is within 3 minutes of me arriving here and having seen the bahaviour.
      Lawrence

Comment

what browser are you using?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

IE6sp1
          Lawrence

Comment

Hmm, I havn't done anything in that time frame, there could be a slight glitch with the paypal link at the top.

Also everynow and again Burst does tend to slow down....

I'll be doing some work on the display code over the next few weeks, lets see if that makes it better or worse.

Dan
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Cheers for the thoughts, but nothing to loose sleep over.
              Lawrence

Comment

Have not seen this behaviour since my last post in this topic - thought we somehow got rid of it - HA!.

Arrived back here after being away for a few hours this morning (local time), and had to, once again, sit through 42 seconds of download activity at 512K with no progress on the actual Murc page I am interested in being retrieved.
                Lawrence

Comment

Always the trouble with intermittant problems, whenever you take it to the repair guy, it works..

I'll keep an eye on it though.
                  Juu nin to iro

Comment

perhaps there is another process hogging the DSL line LvR? or does that happen exclusively on MURC?
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Is possible I suppose, but have not been able to track anything down and I have only seem it with MURC.

Not a trainsmash though.
                      Lawrence

Comment

Just had it again, and from the attached pic (warning about security and Paypal------------first time I have had this now), it would seem that Paypal may the the fly in the ointment.
                        Attached Files
                        Lawrence

Comment

Today I think this has reached the point of serious irritation - just about every visit here results in me having to wait for best part of a minute before the page contents gets displayed.

Now I am no network boffin, but is there perhaps some tool I can leave running to monitor this particular behaviour on only this website and see what the hell is being downloaded and where its going to?

I guess the fact that I am the only twit experiencing this (anybody else?) means there must be something wrong on my side.

Running up-to-date NAV2003/NIS2003, Ad-aware5.8.3, Adshield - and all are either blocking crap arriving or says that no spyware/virii are present - W2K+SP3,IE6+SP1

Any help and suggestions to restore my sanity much appreciated.
                          Lawrence

Comment

Well if you are insane then the problem is non existent

Seriously now. You could try hooking up another computer on your connection and test it a bit to see if you experience the same behavior. Or even try another browser.

To monitor your internet activity you can use a sniffer such as Ethereal http://www.ethereal.com/

You can use it to grab all that goes through your nic and check what goes on with the murc.

Comment

efty

Thanks for the link - have downloaded, installed and gotten it going and managed to capture during one of these funny sessions:

Its no friggin wonder things take so long:

about 1500 frames for a simple action like going to the forum top page .............. takes more than a minute........... most of the frames of 1476 byte size!............... some around 100 bytes or so.............comms with mostly 66.96.247.157(MURC)........Have attached pic showing details of last packet received just as MURC forum completed loading - notice time relative to first packet!.

Dont know what the hell to make of this though - I have a detailed log available that this proggie generated for this excercize and I saved - 1.5M ! - that I can offer to anybody that is a wiz with these network things and feels like looking into it..

I am going through the log on an item basis to see if I can spot anything OBVIOUS and also looking at comms adresses to see who is saying what, but most likely need somebody that knows what he is doing.
                              Attached Files
                              Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                              X