Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joke of the day.

Russia investigates "Harry Potter"

Moscow prosecutors have opened an investigation into whether J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter children's books incite religious hatred. The inquiry was started at the request of a Moscow woman who was upset by the novels, said Svetlana Petrenko, a spokeswoman for the Moscow city prosecutor's office. The Interfax news agency reported that the woman who sought the investigation believes the second volume in the series contains occult propaganda. The Rosman publishing house, which has the license for the books in Russia, said it was "baffled" by the investigation.
    Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Well despite having enjoyed the book thoroughly, I kept falling asleep in the film. I'm sure religious propoganda would have kept me awake

I think it was because these days you can put me in any darkened space and if a baby isn't crying I'll nod off...
    FT.

Comment

I wake up this morning and get myself a cup of coffee. My nanday conure decides she wants some and plops head first into the coffee cup, starts taking a bath, and then says Mmmm good. Needless to say the little present she left behind is not my favorite flavor.

Peace Out People.
      Peace Out.

WORLD PEACE

Think IT. Live IT. Be IT.

<a href="http://bellsouthpwp.net/L/i/Liquid-Memory/fearit/index.htm">F.E.A.R. IT</a>
      Free Enterprise About Reality

Comment

Even if it was/is so what. It's a work of fiction. Or does this lady think Voldemort is coming after her?

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid_Memory
          I wake up this morning and get myself a cup of coffee. My nanday conure decides she wants some and plops head first into the coffee cup, starts taking a bath, and then says Mmmm good. Needless to say the little present she left behind is not my favorite flavor.

Peace Out People.
          Where the hell did that come from?

People who look into these books too much, need to pull their heads out of their arses.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Amen. It 's fiction people. A book. If you don't like it, DON'T READ IT.

Duh.
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

And this is why Russia is flat broke...

~Sethos
              "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

My uncle is a minister. He and my aunt, when the first movie came out, were sitting at our Thanksgiving table, and said "we heard that J.K. Rowling used real occult incantations in the Harry Potter books, and that she's a practicing satanist!"

We invited them to come see the movie.

Needless to say they were a little red-faced.

Sadly, and no I do NOT want this to turn into a religious flamewar, Christians (as a group) tend to believe whatever claptrap they are pitched, so long as it comes from another Christian.

Take for example Dungeons and Dragons. Christians the world over are convinced that dozens of kids killed themselves in bizarre satanic rituals after playing D&D. A quick check of the facts shows that there was ONE suicide that was even remotely linkable to the game, and this kid had tried to kill himself a few times BEFORE he started playing D&D.

But they KNOW.

It's like urban legends, only worse because it gets preached from a pulpit.

I'm gonna coin a new phrase... "Christian Legends".

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

My mom was reading a book about that incident about the time I was born, and she knew that I would grow up to be a fantasy enjoying geek.

I personally dislike Harry Potter, but not becasue is it a "cultist" book.
                  P=I^2*R
                  Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

I dislike Harry Potter on principle. In practice I have found the movies quite enjoyable - certainly moreso than the books.

Why?

Well, ever since I first read "A Wizard of Earthsea" (when I was about... 7 or 8... I got a book of short fantasy excerpts, one of which was from AWOE, and had to read it right away) I've been fascinated by the concept of a school of wizardry.

Sadly, J.K. Rowling can't even keep her own mythos straight, and has sort of ruined the genre forever.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                    X