Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox G400 Win 2k dead boot

Hi everyone -

I'm rebuilding a PC for my youngest daughter (9), and have a Matrox G400 Millenium that I got bulk about 5 years ago with 16 MB, single head. It performed admirably for 4 years and was then pulled out of my main system to make way for another card. It was stored in a dialectric bag in a dry and safe place.

It was then installed in a MSI 6167 motherboard with 192 MB SDRAM, an Athlon 500 Slot A processor, a SB Live 5.1, a 30 GB 5200 RPM IBM drive and a Yamaha 8-4-24 CDRW drive. There is, as well, a Wacom Graphire2 A6 USB tablet with the accompanying mouse and pen.

The system is running Win2k Pro. Initial build and install went just fine, and the system came up running VGA. Now, I went and grabbed the CD that came with the bulk, and the drivers there were so old that they refused to load under Win2k.

So, I downloaded the newest drivers and installed: after rebooting, the system freezes on the second boot screen, and even after 4 hours doesn't change.

Here are my questions:

a) Could the card be dead? I don't think so, since I can boot in VGA no problem.

b) Am I missing a BIOS setting? The interrupt is 11 and by its lonesome self, this much I have already checked.

c) What should my next step be (besides buying a new card: anyone can do that, and since I am pretty sure the card is working, just not properly, I want to prove to my daughter (and myself) that I can still get hardware up and running. :-)

Thanks in advance, I will be in sporadically to check to see if anyone has any ideas leading to a solution.

John

When the computer boots press F8 and choose last known good configuration! If that does not help post here again!

EDIT ofcoure you need to reinstall the drivers again after that!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Hi -

Thanks, but been there, done that, unistalled the drivers, reinstalled the drivers, uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled Win2k (clean system, but what the heck), then installed the G200 drivers from the Win2k boot CD that I have, uninstalled them, and then reinstalled the win2k_586 drivers once again, and that's when posted.

But thanks for the speedy reply and recommending a sensible course of action...

John

Comment

Set the AGP Aperture Size 2 256 in the BIOS also if you have the option to change the APG speed to 2x (or 1x) do so!

BTW what PSU are you using?
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Hi -

Assuming that PSU means Power Supply Unit, dunno, came with the box. :-)

But it's been running this machine for the last four years, and three of the four were Matrox years...

I will get back to the machine tomorrow PM, will try the AFP aperature, also disable PNP and set the IRQ to VGA enabled...

Thanks

John

Comment

Make sure the card is well seated in the AGP slot. Remove it and reseat it so that is sits visually flush.

Comment

roll back and get some earlier drivers.
              My G400 max has had probs with the latest drivers installed under win2k.
              Re boots and stuff, a la Paul Daniels (Just like that!).

Could be my card tho, since G550 works fine in the box. Changed drivers also tho, so maybe not.
              worth a try tho, they may have fixed some G550/parhelia probs, and accidentaly let slip a G400 prob...
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Hi -

First of all, thanks for those who have replied.

I can now only boot the machine in safe mode.

Otherwise, I get a lovely BSOD:

Stop: 0x0000001E(0xC0000005, 0x80453050,0x00000000,0x00000110) kmode_exception_not_handled

Adress 80453050 base at 80400000, DateStamp 384d9b17, ntoskrnl.exe

Now, going to safe mode after a hard reset led me to the following conflicts:

i-o range 03B0-03BB are being used by the AMD751 processor to AGP controller. I-O Range 03C0-03DF are being used by the AMD751 processor to AGP controller, Memory RAnge 000A0000-000BFFFF is being used by the AMD751 processor to AGP controller.

I went off to the AMD site and grabbed the most recent AGP update (miniport_533.exe) and this changed absolutely nothing...

Any ideas?

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Opie
                  Hi -

First of all, thanks for those who have replied.

I can now only boot the machine in safe mode.

Otherwise, I get a lovely BSOD:

Stop: 0x0000001E(0xC0000005, 0x80453050,0x00000000,0x00000110) kmode_exception_not_handled

Adress 80453050 base at 80400000, DateStamp 384d9b17, ntoskrnl.exe

John
                  Have you tried upgrading the MB Bios. The MSi 6167 were notorious for not being compatible with diff hardware. Esp intel network cards... And it could also affect the G400.

James.
                  Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

A sp update is also a good idea!

Comment

List of bug fixes!

SP1 (1/3)

SP1 (2/3)

SP1 (3/3)

SP2 (1/4)

SP2 (2/4)

SP2 (3/4)

SP1 (4/4)

SP3 (1/1)

Comment

I suggest going to your motherboard and clearing your bios. Then load setup defaults. Go to your plug and play options and make sure you have an irq reserved for the agp if there is an option. Check your power settings if they're set to acpi go back to your plug and play and set plug and play OS to no. Microsoft suggest this if you installed win2k supporting this feature. If you haven't set this option to yes. If you're unsure start in safe mode and go to your device manager and under computer it should tell you. If it says standard pc you haven't installed acpi and you should set plug and play to yes.
                        Reboot the system and try re-installing the drivers.
                        Wish you luck.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                        X