It's alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's alive!

Well....finally decided it was time to retire the old P3-700/P3B warhorse.
    Now posting from my updated rig...my first AMD EVER

The new goodies added:
    Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra (black edition)
    Athlon xp2000+ (retail box)
    512meg PC2700 Edge RAM

So...any soup-up tips, or estimates how a box like this should score in 3DMark?

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

You can expect a 3dmark score around 8000 stock....
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

well, I aint getting that.
      I'm getting closer to 7100 (after bumping the ram up to 166)
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I was wondering when you were gonna upgrade Glad to see you finaly did it. How do you like your new mobo?

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The jury is still out....only been using it for a few hours, and havn't done much with it yet.
          The desktop doesn't really seem all that much faster, but the 3Dmark is way above what i was getting on the old rig.
          It'll take me a few days to decide what I really think of it...

Comment

Well, I'm running an Asus A7V266-E mobo w/ a 2000+ and PC2100 and I love it. I have the Audigy and 9700 instead of your TB and Parhelia. I probably have this setup until summer or so. I think you will be happy with it.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
              The jury is still out....only been using it for a few hours, and havn't done much with it yet.
              The desktop doesn't really seem all that much faster, but the 3Dmark is way above what i was getting on the old rig.
              It'll take me a few days to decide what I really think of it...
              are you stil lusing the old HDD? if yes, then get a newer WD JB model (the 40GB WD400JB is plenty cheap) or go for the 120GB IBM 180GXP with 8MB buffer or the 200 GB WD2000JB (if you want to burn some more money, go SCSI )

Comment

Never IBM, NEVER!!!

Seagate's Barracuda V are good ones. As are WD's special edition series, which BTW are amongst the last HDD lines to offer a 3 year warranty.

Comment

Yes, I'm still using my old HD.
                  I was never using it to it's potential before. It's a WD 40gig 7200rpm ATA100 made in April of this year...I think it's plenty fast enough...

I played about 1/2 hour of NWN last night, and I could really see the difference there. With the old P3, I had to have all the details turned way down. Now, I have them all cranked up, and it's still faster than it was before...so things are looking good

Comment

Exelent system, but the VIA chipset is, well... debatable

Comment

Nice! Looks like my upgrade, XP 2000+, Asus A7V8X, PC2700 DDR.

It was my first AMD as well, and I am pleased. Although I do not think it is as stable as my Intel P3. It works fine, but if I leave it on for a couple of days, it locks solid.
                      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Byock: That shouldn't be anything to do with the AMD.... I'm running a MSI KT3 Ultra mb, and a AMD XP1800+ with W2k... My uptime for the moment is 13 days, and still running... Usually it isn't longer than a few weeks since I install patches or other things that require reboots, but it hasn't locked for me the last 6 months I beleive...

Cobos
                        My Specs
                        AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobos
                          Byock: That shouldn't be anything to do with the AMD.... I'm running a MSI KT3 Ultra mb, and a AMD XP1800+ with W2k... My uptime for the moment is 13 days, and still running... Usually it isn't longer than a few weeks since I install patches or other things that require reboots, but it hasn't locked for me the last 6 months I beleive...

Cobos
                          Everything in the system is the same but the MB, Ram, CPU. And I did do a clean install of XP. If it is not AMD, then it must be the VIA chipset.
                          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

My upgrade is an XP1700+, Asus A7S333, 512mb 2700 ram, Ati 9000Pro 128, and a fancy new case.

Must be something in the air this time of year
                            chuck
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

hmmm in the air...or water?

I'm holding out for my tax return before I upgrade

I'd like to go dual Athlon

this is a nice writeup on dual Athlon XPs converted to MPs
                              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                              X