Parhelia + DualHead refresh rates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia + DualHead refresh rates.

I've started a thread on the official Matrox forum about this...

and continued in

Could anyone who understands this stuff better than me possibly comment?

- Robin

And the thread goes on... http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/001652.html

Comment

Haig (following on from your reply on the Matrox forums which are now closed):

My primary monitor is the Sony FW900 (http://www.sony-cp.com/en/products/c...900/index.html).

I'm not sure how to get a raw EDID dump, but PowerStrip (in "Read data directly from monitor" mode) reports:

Video type: Analog (0.7V)
      Image Size: 480x310mm (24")
      Max resolution: 2304 horizontal, 2048 vertical
      Max scan frequency: 121kHz horizontal, 160Hz vertical
      Plug and Play: yes
      General Timing Formula: yes
      EDID revision: 1.3
      Discrete timings: <list>, ranging to 2304 x 1440 at 80Hz (I'll post the lot if you like, but there might be a better tool to get the EDID info).

The monitor happily reports when the card is sending it a signal that it doesn't like, but my issue is with the fact that the card can't seem to feed the monitor to capacity in 32bpp DualHead mode, when the Parhelia's dotclock clearly exceeds that of the monitor.

Blurb, and Happy Christmas

- Robin

Comment

Hmmm, interesting.
        The limitation seems to be imposed by PowerDesk-HF only, which is something of a relief

DualHead, independent mode:
        Primary monitor: Sony FW900 (24" 16:10)
        Secondary monitor: Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 (19" 4:3)

I'm running the FW900 at 1920x1200, and PowerDesk-HF only lets me get to 94Hz, about which Powerstrip has to say:

Generic timing details for 1920x1200:
        HFP=152 HSW=208 HBP=360 kHz=118 VFP=1 VSW=3 VBP=56 Hz=94

That's a dotclock of 313MHz (horizontal scan rate 118.421kHz, vertical refresh rate 93.985Hz)

Adjusting further in Powerstrip (refresh rate control only), I can get to:

Generic timing details for 1920x1200:
        HFP=152 HSW=208 HBP=360 kHz=122 VFP=1 VSW=3 VBP=56 Hz=97

A dotclock of 322MHz (horizontal scan rate 121.875kHz, vertical refresh rate 96.726Hz), before my monitor gives up (it's spec'd to 121kHz max horizontal scan rate).

Likewise, PowerDesk-HF lets me get to 70Hz at 2048x1356@32bpp, while Powerstrip lets me get to the VESA 75Hz.

Now I'd put this down to Powerstrip being "blah this, blah that" if it weren't for the fact that PowerDesk-HF lets me attain the same settings when in SingeHead mode.

Haig: could you please ask the driver devels to remove this limit from the PowerDesk-HF utility? It already seems happy enough to send the monitor signals it can't handle, the limitation is purely in what it thinks the Parhelia can do.

- Robin
        "Happier"

PS: I'm pleased to say my calculations on dot clock, etc were pretty accurate

Comment

Hi Robin,

I'm not sure how to get a raw EDID dump, ...

You can use a file called edid.exe from viewsonic's utilities download section.

could you please ask the driver devels to remove this limit from the PowerDesk-HF utility?

I'm back on the 6th and will look at it then. It will also depend on your edid reading as well, just in case your Sony is reporting a max of 94hz refresh at that res.

Comment

Working...
          X