Win2k, inaccessible boot device error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k, inaccessible boot device error

Ok, My first year of Win2k use went really well, until I tried to swap out the newer Motherboad...
    I went from a BX to a i815 chipset...
    I've already researched the problem to be that Win2k has an ID tag for the HDD controler which it looks for and can't find because of the new HDD controler on the i815...

My Question is, has anyone here found a work around??

So far I've tried to "repair" using the auto fix of Win2k, no go
    I've also tried to place the ATAPI.SYS file in the Drivers directory, read from another Messageboard...

I found a page on MS's site, but they list another KB article for the instructions and of course that is no longer availible on the net...

thanks for any help, soon I suppose I'll have to reformat

Craig
    1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Try reinstalling w2k or

connect drive to working computer or install w2k on another drive in this computer to rescue data and reformat and reinstall.

Comment

there is a bit more flexibility with XP, in terms of getting this sort of upgrade to work. I hate to say it, but the easyest way for this to happen is to back up your disk to some other medium/drive, format it and start again.. There are just too many variations between your motherboards. Once you get this problem sorted, another one will come along and burst yout bubble.

#RedRed
      Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Does it boot in safe mode?

If so try removing the IDE controller from device manager and rebooting normally.
        It's easy to die in the past. Staying alive is much more difficult!

Comment

If it's only "inaccessibl boot device error" then try going into the recovery console and trya CHKDSK /R. It works about 70% of the time, try that before formatting that way you can try and save yourself a format!!
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I know this is totally out topic but I'll like to know why microsoft changes the command line parameters (arguments) when translating the OS.
            <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

Usualy its a breeze to uppgrade motherboards on W2K as long as the driver for the hdd controller is set to "standard" just befor swapping motherbords
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If 2k is like XP in this regard, I really recommend formatting and starting the install from scratch. When I upgraded from my 8KT3A to my 745Ultra, things in XP worked, but I didn't have APIC/ACPI support, and my Audigy didn't work right. A repair install did not fix it. After a clean format, the new install has IRQs up to 24 listed, and the Audigy works great.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

thanks ALOT for the responses..

MJA, no it doesn't boot in Safe mode
                  Besides I already removed the HDD controler before I removed the BX board... I tried... thanks for the suggestion

ZokesPro, what does the R switch mean? I didn't see it listed in the /? ... Just curious what it is I'm doing before I do it

thanks again for all your responses, From what I've researched it is more than likely I'll have to try and salvage what ever I can from the console moving my data to a spare drive...
                  I'll try that /r before I re-install...

Merry Xmass to all
                  Craig
                  1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Alternatively if you've still got the old BX board buy a cheap ide controller and install it. Swap your drive cables over and check win2k/xp still boots. If it does plonk in your new motherboard and use the cheap ide until you can install the drivers for the onboard.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The /R does a repair of the hdd surface, kinda like having, scandisk, with the "automaticaly fix error" checked.
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                      X