win2000 - file associations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2000 - file associations

I "accidentally" got .dat files associated with windows media player. I want to delete that association so .dat files are not associated with any program. I can't do it through the usual "folder options" or using "open with"!

Is there some other way? Maybe through the registry or??
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Check with "regedit"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.dat

if its associated with Windows Media Player just delete the key and then recreate it empty... next time you go to open the file it should ask for which program to open the file.
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Hmmm well there didn't seem to be any association in the registry.

The way I got them associated was by choosing "open with" and then I clicked the "always use this program to open these files" option... if that's any help!?
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

From an Explorer window: Tools>Folder Options>File Types. Edit it in there.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

This one of the silly annoying things that are simple but you forget about them and scratch your head trying to remember where under the drop down menus it's hiding.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
            From an Explorer window: Tools>Folder Options>File Types. Edit it in there.
            That was the first place I looked, but for some reason the .dat file type is not in that list, so I can't do anything from there

Comment

Working...
            X