Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• encoding probleam

Hi!
    I did a little "credits" intro for one of my personal movies, and after the final encoding that part got out a little messy, by that meanning that the white written titles are blurred.
    (see url)
    The movie was encoded with divx 5.02 two passes 1400kbps. I selected the global motion compensation option and the bi-directional encoding only.
    Any ideas why this happend?
    P.S.
    A 500k cut from the intro is here :
    1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,
    WinXP SP1, Drivers: 5.88, VT 2.02.

It happens because of the letter spacing, aka: kerning, is too close together for such a lossy codec.

The high frequency junction where you have white-black-white so close together causes a Gibbs artifact that spans the black portion between the letters and you get that bridging effect.

When this is a problem with stationary titles it's often best to create them as *.tga images with transparancy in Photoshop or PhotoImpact and apply the kerning corrections in their text entry boxes.

Trial and error will give you the proper settings. I find a kerning value of 6 or so is enough in PhotoImpact and a value of 2-3 enough in Photoshop.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You are right, i modified the text kerning a little bit and it worked after a few tries.
      Damn you're good Dr. Mordrid ... Thx.
      1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,
      WinXP SP1, Drivers: 5.88, VT 2.02.

Comment

Working...
      X