Network question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network question

Ok I know hardware well but Networking is still fuzzy for me.

I have a laptop for work and it's obviously setup to run on that domain. However when I bring it home it will not see the workgroup that is my home network (I have no domain nor do I want one). The laptop is running 2k. How do I get it to see the workgroup without creating a new profile (want to only use the one profile).

Thanks everyone
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Change the name of your home network workgroup to match the workgroup on the laptop.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

OK that's just odd... now it sees the workgroup

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

and no I didn't change the name... it just works now....

Comment

That's the wonder of MS peer-peer networking without a server.
          In 5 min, you won't be able to see it again
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

um wheeee?!?!?!

Comment

I have 12 PCs on the network at work, all sharing a DSL line via a 10 port and a couple 5 port hubs, with no server or router.
              All are set up as the same workgroup, and obtain their IPs from our ISP.
              While all have no problem getting to the internet this way, it is a crap shoot if any given rig can see any other. At times, almost any system can access any other, at other times, almost no systems can be seen from any other.
              Peer-peer networking is highly unreliable. Even with just 2 systems on my home network, it's a coin toss if they will decide to see each other. Having one PC act as a server, or having a router makes consistant networking more realistic (though I can't seem to make my boss understand this...but then I couldn't make him understand the diff between AGP and PCI today either )

Comment

hehe.... well my router can make a domain... don't really want to but might be worth a shot

Comment

Working...
                X