Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA: magnetic solar sail.....

This one is just too weird:

Using a simple solenoid, 3 kw worth of solar cells and 6.6 kg of liquid helium the idea is to generate a plasma/magnetic bubble ~36 miles in diameter around a 100kg spacecraft. This small amount of helium fuel would power the the "engine" for over 3 months.

The solar wind then becomes the motive force, pushing against the plasma/magnetic bubble much as it does against the Earths magnetic field. This would provide constant "thrust", accelerating the spacecraft to over 6.9 million km/day or 180,000 mph

Calling this approach "creative" would be an understatement.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 December 2002, 03:46.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

There is also a private foundation trying almost the same thing, but using a regular solar sail instead. Their probe is planned to launch within 4 months, from a converted russian ICBM from a Nuclear sub in the Barents sea.

The Planetary Society is the largest and most effective nonprofit organization that promotes the exploration of space through education, advocacy, and…

James.
    Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

A magnetic sail and a traditional solar sail are quite different....
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

DUh... I know, but so far no one has even tried a traditional sail yet.

James.

Comment

I find this sort of stuff really intresting, especially when it is almost a reality...
          RedRed
          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Originally posted by James_D
            DUh... I know, but so far no one has even tried a traditional sail yet.

James.

Uhhhh....wrong. NASA has flown at least 2 solar sails launched from shuttle missions. It worked and more tests are on their launch schedule for ~2005.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Is this apliable to bigger wessels as well?
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Both the magnetic bubble sail and the physical sail are very applicable to large spacecraft. NASA has designs on the books for physical sails some kilometers in diameter for large interstellar missions, though smaller ones would work for lighter craft.

Theoretically they should get up to about 10% of the speed of light just using the solar wind. They can go even faster if the spacecraft includes a microwave transmitter, ion beam or large laser to provide it's own more intense "wind" when it gets further from the sun.

Nuclear power for active power of this type would be a must, but the same is true of the very powerful VASIMR drive as well. VASIMR = Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket

VASIMR will be able to take the manned mission one-way travel time to Mars down from 9-12 months to just 3 months. They can do this because they do continuous burns for months at a time, not just a big burn and cruise like with chemical rockets.

Concept video for Mars mission:

They're talking about powering large VASIMR's with a nuclear reactor similar to those used on submarines.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 December 2002, 18:28.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

VASIMR is a technology that can be uses to move incoming asteroids as well....
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                    Uhhhh....wrong. NASA has flown at least 2 solar sails launched from shuttle missions. It worked and more tests are on their launch schedule for ~2005.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Are you sure you are not talking about the russian Znaunya/ZNAMIA , they were solar mirrors, not sails. And shame on you for taking credits for something the russians did.

If you have any info on the any Nasa shuttle launch please post links. This is very interesting material.

James.

Comment

Mariner 10 used solar sailing techniques for maneuvering and extending its mission, mainly by using its solar panels as the "sail".

Previous Mariner missions used a small solar sail to counterbalance the pressure on their power cells and maintain attitude control.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So nothing from the shuttle. And talking about Mariners, yes the
                        Mariner 10 was the first to use the solar sailing techniques.

James

Comment

This is interesting, please continue!!!

Comment

Originally posted by James_D
                            So nothing from the shuttle. And talking about Mariners, yes the
                            Mariner 10 was the first to use the solar sailing techniques.

James
                            I'm sure there were attempts from the shuttle, I just can't find the references right now. It was a small parachute shaped affair to test the use of a mylar material for the purpose and deployment.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thing that really is cool about this is its another peek at Star Trek stuff that can really work.

Comment

Working...
                              X