Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a bootable CD???

Hiya guys,

I have a handful of apps like DFT, Disk Commander and NTFS4DOS that need to be run from a boot disk. Now, I don't 'do' floppies so I have resorted to using CD's for these.

Now each program is 2MB at most, which is quite a waste of CDs. Especially as I have to carry three CDs around when one has more than enough capacity.

I have toyed with the idea about placing all the programs onto one CD, but I am having a problem with the boot loader as some of them use the NTOS kernel. How could i do this???

I cant see a way of creating one without a third party program. Would something similar to lilo work?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Create bootable disk the size to fit all those programs.-> burn teh cdr.

Alternatively make autoexec to expand images of floppies in ramdrive.

Then alternatively you can get premade images on line.

Comment

You'll run into a problem if you want to have a lot of programs loaded into the glorious 640K of memory...just make sure you can load them in hi mem.

Comment

Can all these programs run from a 98 system disk boot? If so use a dos multi-boot menu to run the software from the cd-rom if it won't all fit on the boot disk. You could get fancy and even transfer the stuff to a RAMdrive if you wanted and run it from there. I've got a cd-boot disk which sets up a 12MB RAMdrive and loads Powerquest Drive Image, Powerquest Partitionmagic, Ultra-X Quick-Tech Pro, and a few other DOS apps/commands. It can also run hard drive diags, even Ghost from batch file commands. Works really slick.
        Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Not all of these programs use DOS. That's my problem.
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Just a thought off the top of my head....

use the boot image from a win98 floppy, write a small bat file to ask for a Y or N to load ntfs4dos for when you need it, and point to the bat in autoexec

or

use the image from an nt/2k/xp startup (or maybe just dos sys files, ntldr and ntdetect.com) and arc it to which OS's files/utils you want via a boot ini and some pointers to something like %cddriveletter%\dos or \nt

no clue if either of those would work, but going on 30 hours without sleep it sounds like a good idea (umm maybe?)
            Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

erm... disk commander wont work in DOS, it needs to be run in a NTFS shell of some kind.... I am not sure...

I need to make something similar to a boot.ini on a multi OS rig.
              Can i make a boot.ini for a CD???

Comment

I don't know about boot ini but I used to have 7-config 100+ lines autoxec.bat

Comment

Working...
                X