Small Business system, what to get???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Business system, what to get???

I am going to build a small 4 workstation LAN, 1 server setup. I am trying to find the best bang for your buck setup for the PC's that would cost $300 or less for the most common components excluding Monitor, K/B and mouse. They will be using email, web, ACT!, Word, Excel. So what I am looking for is:

Case w/ PS
    CPU
    Motherboard - Integrated Audio, Video, LAN
    HDD
    FDD
    CD or CD/RW(CD/RW being the first choice)
    Memory(perferrably 256MB PC2100)

For obvious reasons, the nforce shipset keeps popping into my mind and wanted to knwo what experiences you all had with the first gen nforce chipset? I am thinking

$73 - Asus A7N266-VM Audio, Video, LAN
    $55 - Athlon XP 1600+
    $66 - 20GB WD HDD
    $50 - Crucial PC2100 256MB memory
    $57 - Lite-On 48x12x48 CD-RW
    $49 - Enermax case with front USB, headphone and mic connectors.

$350 - Total

What do you think? What would you change out? Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave
    Last edited by Helevitia; 17 December 2002, 17:21.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

You forgot the cpu! You could always check out a P4 celeron system with a 845GE mobo!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
      You forgot the cpu! You could always check out a P4 celeron system with a 845GE mobo!
      Doh! Thanks for the catch. Will edit my first post.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

This looks okay to me.
        The first-gen nForce is quite solid in my experience - it's not an fps demon but that's not what's required, is it?

I'd say go with your own instincts on this one - you've got about the best set-up for the money there.
        It's easy to die in the past. Staying alive is much more difficult!

Comment

I can say nothing but positive things about my Nfarce (type 1).....

everything you need is one one board (raising your margin).... the gfx is adequate, no probs with networking sound is fine too....

the only thing was that the MSI offering did not come with much bundled (the spdiff socket or 5.1 sockets for example). However, an excellent board for the small office... Make a decent server too. I still have one as my main machine - the only things here is dont install linux as your server - much pain with kernal patches in red-hat 8.....

RedRed
          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

with the nfarce, you are supposed to get better performance with 2 memory slots filled (most nfarce mobos come with 3 memory slots).... I would go for 2 matched noname memory stick 128 Mb each (if you are not keeping the PC's yourself!), try to find a cheaper HD (they only have o 1 year warranty now, dont they? and perhaps the cd/rw is a luxury in all but the server..... you might consider cd-less entirely (if you need to scrimp!) The 1600 is a good choice with 256 Mb Ram & XP....

Remember to keep an eye on the margin... you are not building a machine for yourself

RedRed
            Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Get an iMac BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry I couldn't help it.....LOL

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

thanks for the help MJA and red. As for Paul, we all know he's a wanker!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X