CPU temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU temperature

What temperature is ok for a processor(celeron, coppermine core) to work on? Just a few minutes ago I noticed that both the blowers on my heatsink had stopped for some reason, but the temperature didn't exceed 81 degrees celcius (at 100% CPU useage), that's only 5 degrees more then when the blowers do work.
    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

That's ver very high!

Comment

Are you sure the HS is even coming in contact with the cpu?!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

KaBoom!

Seriously, are you sure that the sensor/monitoring software is working? was it C or F?

If it was C and its working your machine will start to suffer from random hangs, I bet.....

it shouldnt take out the chip though (I think!)
        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

are the fans really blowing air onto the hs? maybe they were flipped...

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
            Are you sure the HS is even coming in contact with the cpu?!
            this is an overclocked celeron, now running with a heatsink that definetly wasnt meant for passive cooling, but still no hangs

when i close all programms it comes back to 58 degrees celcius (but the fans still wont turn for some reason).
            Last edited by knirfie; 17 December 2002, 13:08.
            Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

hate to say this guy but a block of lead would cool it better than that thing
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                hate to say this guy but a block of lead would cool it better than that thing
                well i have to say it's doing a pretty good job passivly

Comment

81 C is waaaaaaay too high.

Get a real HSF, or risk burning out your CPU within the very near future.

Comment

I wouldn't... you are right at the point the silicon would be permanently damaged

Comment

81 degrees isn't a good job
                      unless you are burning in
                      Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

well, i would have expected it to reach higher temps if the fans ever failed. I've removed the HS and installed an old socket 7 HS with working fan, temp doesnt exceed 70 degrees now when stress-testing, is that better?

p.s. what kind of HS should I get, i'm not trusting my system to a socket 7 cooler

Comment

just ask for a Pentium 3 heatsink, most of them are pretty good
                          how fast is your cpu ? (MHZ)
                          Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

it's running at 1364mhz (124*11)

Comment

most P3 HS are made for 1600mhz processors
                              it normally written on the box of the HS

just say in the store you need a P3 HS for a 1400 mhz P3
                              (and if they make the "a 1400mhz P3???"-face, just tell them its a Tualatin )

Comment

Working...
                              X