Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "touch"-ing files (changing time/date) in batch

Hello,

I have a silly problem... After a trip, I now have a number of folders that contain digital pictures, e.g.
    \a\dsc_0001.jpg
    \a\dsc_0002.nef
    \a\dsc_0003.nef
    \b\dsc_0001.nef
    \b\dsc_0002.nef
    \b\dsc_0003.jpg

I'd like these to be numbered in one folder, so that I have all of them toghether (have the files in a numbered from 1-3, the files in b from 4-6, ...). The batchprocessing software I use (Nikon Capture) allows me to do just that, but there is a small problem: it determines the order of files not based on their name, but on their date/time. So if I manipulated picture dsc_001.nef as the last one, after the "batchcopy" it will be the last one...

So, how can I change the date/time for files in such a way that they resemble the alphabetical order of the files...? (we are talking >400 files)

Thanks!

Jörg

edit: Ideally, I'd actually like to give the files the date/time present in the exif-header, this matches the alphabetical order and means something.
    Last edited by VJ; 17 December 2002, 02:50.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Couldn't you either (a) write a batch (.BAT) file, or (b) use Perl script (less sure about this one).

I am reasonably sure that with wildcards, dos commands and the limited conditionals that you can do in batch files, this would be the best way to go. Unfortunately I haven't really touched them since I used dos. Which was a little while ago...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of this at all...

- Get Jhead.exe from http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
      - jhead -ft *.jpg (What's a .nef?)
      - Profit! ...um, you're done.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

GNEP: Yes, I was thinking along the lines of a for-loop, combined with sleep and touch. It could be that I need Cygwin (or some commandline tools), as sleep and touch are not default in Windows. If necessary, I think a small C file could also perform this task.

Ribbit: Thanks, I'll try it out. The NEF-file is the Nikon Electronic RAW format, so if the jhead cannot extract the Exif-info from those files, I'm afraid it won't work... (but I think the header is standard)

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Have you tried downloading ACDsee 4.0 or something and trying its batch option?
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Ribbit: jhead does what it claims to do, but cannot work with the .nef files (it just states it is not a .jpg)... And about 95% of my files are .nef...

GT98: Hey, good thought ! I for one now that ACDSee can read the .nef exif (and even the thumbnail), so it might be possible ! I'll download it now !

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Working...
            X