It's coming: Atlon 64 benchmarked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's coming: Atlon 64 benchmarked

The first benchmarks of the new comer. C't tested it. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6737
    Last edited by Greebe; 15 December 2002, 10:09.

Another interesting note from the article in c't: If the prototype they got would be running at 2Ghz, and thats what AMD is aming at, it'd get a QuantiSpeed rating of about 3300+
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

But it is not running at that speed and AMD is having significant problems getting the clockspeed up. We'll see how it all goes in Spring I guess...
      -Slougi

Comment

Originally posted by Slougi
        But it is not running at that speed and AMD is having significant problems getting the clockspeed up. We'll see how it all goes in Spring I guess...
        That has been stated everytime AMD releases something new
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

lets also remember that AMD isnt going for GHZ vs Intel. It can be just as fast or faster at a slower clock...work smarter not harder
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

acording to the bench a 1.2 was almost as fast as a 2,2gh p4
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Slougi
              I have heard that AMD were having some problems with the SOI process, and that clockspeed isn't a so big problem

1,2Ghz beats the Pentium 4 2,2Ghz in serveral test including Quake 3!

Comment

They have problems with the SOI process, yes. That means they can't get the clocks up, so that exactly is the problem. On the other hand the chips run very cool, and use less electricity.
                -Slougi

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                  lets also remember that AMD isnt going for GHZ vs Intel. It can be just as fast or faster at a slower clock...work smarter not harder
                  Exactly. People don't buy for MHz anymore.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Unfortunatley they do

Comment

they do buy for MHz, altho the model numbers helped AMD.

Unfortunatly, it doesn't matter what the real performance is like. AMD will probably be pricing these at the comparable Intel processor, or maybe one or two behind it. especially considering that the Hammer processors are more expensive to manufacture than the P4's.

hellloooo $400USD+ processors. again.

As far as delays go, last I checked they have not even taped the Hammer processors out yet. there was a delay to update the memory controller (and reoptimize it, supposedly for DDR400 memory, as well as to upgrade the L2 cache to 512K), and i'm sure that there are many other problems to be tracked down. Plus they have to do testing of each revision, especially as they are aiming these things at the Enterprise market.

anyways, benchmarks are old news... someone released some of the 800MHz version a while back, where it was pretty well spanking (or coming close to) a 1.6A w/ RDRAM.
                      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I notice it does quite well on SPEC, and drops behind a lot on Bapco. But isn't Bapco the Intel-controlled, P4-slanted benchmark? (I don't recall.)

I'm actually a little disappointed seeing these, as I recall seeing some benches on Aces' a little while back which implied that Hammer was about twice as fast as a P3 clock-for-clock. So it should have spanked the P4, especially since the latter had slower memory (which matters more to the P4).

Anyway, the real reason for this post is to let you know that the full benchmark set (or at least, a lot more of it), is posted at AMDZone at the moment. http://www.amdzone.com
                        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                          I notice it does quite well on SPEC, and drops behind a lot on Bapco. But isn't Bapco the Intel-controlled, P4-slanted benchmark? (I don't recall.)

I'm actually a little disappointed seeing these, as I recall seeing some benches on Aces' a little while back which implied that Hammer was about twice as fast as a P3 clock-for-clock. So it should have spanked the P4, especially since the latter had slower memory (which matters more to the P4).

Anyway, the real reason for this post is to let you know that the full benchmark set (or at least, a lot more of it), is posted at AMDZone at the moment. http://www.amdzone.com
                          I concur. I'm dissapointed in AMD as of right now. For starters, these things won't be out for quite a while, and when they are P4's will probably be 4Ghz or so. Not sure, don't have an Intel road map handy. Anyway, AMD had better ramp up that clock speed QUICK if they want to even dream of being competitive.

Comment

Why this inane obsession about FPS and MHz !?!?!

Comment

All I was saying is that I've seen benchmarks implying that Hammer is much faster (per clock), so these were a bit of a let-down for me.
                              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
                              X