Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Zalman ZM80A fit on P?

Does anybody know?
    I look at many pictures and have come to the conclusion, that it MUST fit. I can't see any problems why it should not fit.

Maybe i will buy one and test it. If it is ned, I will modify it
    Last edited by Gohan; 15 December 2002, 00:58.
    System:
    P III-S 1.4@1.52
    512 MB SDR-Ram
    Gigabyte-6IEML
    Matrox Parhelia

It won't, and they state so on the Zalman info page.

Comment

Wait, sorry that was the ZM80 non-A, this one could possibly fit.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
        Wait, sorry that was the ZM80 non-A, this one could possibly fit.

Don't think so,since the heatsink still needs mounting holes on either side of the GPU to be able to hold the weight of the entire heatsink assembly properly(385 grams)..Not to mention ensuring good contact between the heatsink and GPU packaging..
        note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
        P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Yes it works. Only the A model
          I have successfully installed it on my Parhelia. But you need to give up one PCI slot next to AGP slot.

ASUS A7M266-D, 2 x Athlon MP 2000+, Viking 512m PC2100 ECC Reg, Adaptec 2100s U160 SCSI RAID, 4 x Seagate Cheetah 15k 18.4G HDs RAID 0 & 1, Barracuda ATA IV 60G HD, Matrox Parhelia 128, Seventeam 520W power supply & Cooler Master ATC-410 SX-1 Aluminum Server Case
          ASUS A7M266-D, 2 x Athlon MP 2000+, Viking 1G PC2100 ECC Reg, LSI MegaRAID Elite 1600 SCSI RAID, 4 x Seagate Cheetah 15k 18.4G HDs RAID 0, Barracuda 7 ATA 200G HD, Matrox Parhelia 256M, Antec True Power 550W power supply, Swiftech & Zalman watercooling & Cooler Master ATC-410 SX-1 Aluminum Server Case

Comment

Thanks! Unfortunatly my ZM80A will be deliverd first at early january
            System:
            P III-S 1.4@1.52
            512 MB SDR-Ram
            Gigabyte-6IEML
            Matrox Parhelia

Comment

lim, did it work out of the box or did you need to modify it in any way? how does it perform, does it cool to lower temperatures than the stock heatsink fan and does it help overclocking?many thanks.
              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

The box kit can suit the Parhelia card. You no need to modify it. You just need to remove the original Parhelia heatsink and fan.
                But the Zalman heatsink base is not big enough to cover the whole area of the GPU chip. It only cover 75% Parhelia chip area. It is the major defect.
                I add two small fans on the front side big Heatsink.
                I can make bios overclock from previous 225mhz to now 230mhz stable.
                ASUS A7M266-D, 2 x Athlon MP 2000+, Viking 1G PC2100 ECC Reg, LSI MegaRAID Elite 1600 SCSI RAID, 4 x Seagate Cheetah 15k 18.4G HDs RAID 0, Barracuda 7 ATA 200G HD, Matrox Parhelia 256M, Antec True Power 550W power supply, Swiftech & Zalman watercooling & Cooler Master ATC-410 SX-1 Aluminum Server Case

Comment

so its safe to run a heatsink which does not fully cover the gpu?i ask as i have a copper heatsink which i drilled holes in to mount it but stupidly did not check it covers the gpu, there is about 10% uncovered and i thought the heatspreader would melt if left uncovered.
                  is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                  Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

I think the heatsink is based on the G-Force and ATI chip size to design and the Parhelia chip is bigger than the above chip. I use thermal grease to cover the whole chip hoping it will help to transfer heat to heatsink for the uncovered area.
                    I hope my gpu will not melt and I am using the heatsink for more than 3 days and it is still functioning well.

Comment

Does anyone have a pic they can post/send me with the ZM80A-HP on a Parhelia?

I recently did a review of the ZM80A-HP, and included the line from Zalman that this heat sink did not work on the Parhelia. The review will be updated in a week or so, and I'd love to show that it does work, and people are using it.

Thanks,
                      Bryan (aka d3bruts1d)
                      Overclockers Club

Comment

Originally posted by d3bruts1d
                        Does anyone have a pic they can post/send me with the ZM80A-HP on a Parhelia?

I recently did a review of the ZM80A-HP, and included the line from Zalman that this heat sink did not work on the Parhelia. The review will be updated in a week or so, and I'd love to show that it does work, and people are using it.

Thanks,
                        Bryan (aka d3bruts1d)
                        Overclockers Club
                        Hi Bryan,
                        I am using the ZM80A-HP on my Parhelia. It is not exactly fit for the Parhelia. The heatsink base is shorter than the Parhelia chip (50mm x 50mm). The base is only covering 80% of chip area. I used it for few days and without any problem.
                        Afterward, I have modified the heatsink by adding one aluminium plate sized 50mm x 50mm with 2mm thick on Parhelia chip. And I have to give up back side heatsink but added two small fans on the front side heatsink.
                        It is now functioning well.
                        My BIOS hack is 230mhz and 600mhz.
                        Attached Files

Comment

more picture
                          Attached Files

Comment

final picture
                            Attached Files

Comment

additional picture
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X