why was there never a g450 max???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why was there never a g450 max???

hi, this has always puzzled me, why was there no g450max???

as far as i understand the g450 was bassically a die shrunken g400 with 64 bit ddr rather than 128bit ddr (and according to this link 2 pipes with 1 tmu instead of 1/3). with the die shrink clock speeds could have been ramped up. i think i remember maggi squeezing 200mhz out of a g450 a while back, and surely it would not have cost that much more to include 128bit ddr

all of this would have increased speed for what i can see as not alot more money so why did it not happen. was it because of the canned g800 and other canned products, or was it just bad managment again???

please can i have a decent answer to this

cheers
    Dell Inspiron 8200
    Pentium4m 1.6
    640mb pc2100
    64mb gf440go
    15" uxga ultrasharp
    40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

because the G450 was a cut down G400 to make it cheaper to produce and easier sale to OEMs. Why make a crippled product faster?

Also die-shrink=faster clock speeds always doesnt hold water either. Just look at the first gen .13 Micro Althon XPs and their cummy OCs they gave out. You still have heat problems and smaller dies makes getting rid of that heat harder to do.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

The primary reason was managerial: they decided to abandon the high performance market.
      A g450 max (higher clocked g450) would not have been all that great... To make something worthwhile, they would have needed to have created something with twice the texture units of the g400 running at about 150-166 MHz with 128 bit DDR
      Also Smaller Die = More Heat per Surface Area. Therefore, you need to use better, more heat conductive heat sinks, increasing costs.

Comment

Working...
      X