At last some good news..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At last some good news..

It looks like the fight against malaria, might be won after all.
    That is indeed a important step, for helping the poor countries in Africa. Since Malaria is the # killer, and also prevents a good life for so many people..

The latest science and technology news from New Scientist. Read exclusive articles and expert analysis on breaking stories and global developments

A toast to the germans..

James
    Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Oh yeah! Since it's so easy to get infected that definetly good news!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

A major mega bonus!!!
        All thos epeople on medication for life will be happy, and so will the gov't who prob has to foot the bill for all this medication.

Woohoo!!!!

The only people who will be unhappy, are those currently making the drugs for treatment of Malaria.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Malaria was becoming highly resistant to the old drugs anyway. Let's hope it doesn't route around this antibiotic too quickly.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
            Malaria was becoming highly resistant to the old drugs anyway. Let's hope it doesn't route around this antibiotic too quickly.

Amen, That is always the greatest fear.
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

How common is malaria?

The World Health Organization estimates that yearly 300-500 million cases of malaria occur and more than 1 million people die of malaria. About 1,200 cases of malaria are diagnosed in the United States each year. Most cases in the United States are in immigrants and travelers returning from malaria-risk areas, mostly from sub-Saharan Africa and the Indian subcontinent.
              How do you get malaria?

Humans get malaria from the bite of a malaria-infected mosquito. When a mosquito bites an infected person, it ingests microscopic malaria parasites found in the person’s blood. The malaria parasite must grow in the mosquito for a week or more before infection can be passed to another person. If, after a week, the mosquito then bites another person, the parasites go from the mosquito’s mouth into the person’s blood. The parasites then travel to the person’s liver, enter the liver’s cells, grow and multiply. During this time when the parasites are in the liver, the person has not yet felt sick. The parasites leave the liver and enter red blood cells; this may take as little as 8 days or as many as several months. Once inside the red blood cells, the parasites grow and multiply. The red blood cells burst, freeing the parasites to attack other red blood cells. Toxins from the parasite are also released into the blood, making the person feel sick. If a mosquito bites this person while the parasites are in his or her blood, it will ingest the tiny parasites. After a week or more, the mosquito can infect another person.

Each year in the United States, a few cases of malaria result from blood transfusions, are passed from mother to fetus during pregnancy, or are transmitted by locally infected mosquitoes.
              What are the signs and symptoms of malaria?

Symptoms of malaria include fever and flu-like illness, including shaking chills, headache, muscle aches, and tiredness. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may also occur. Malaria may cause anemia and jaundice (yellow coloring of the skin and eyes) because of the loss of red blood cells. Infection with one type of malaria, Plasmodium falciparum, if not promptly treated, may cause kidney failure, seizures, mental confusion, coma, and death.
              Malaria: General Information
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Eh ???
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

DING FRIES ARE DONE

DING FRIES ARE DONE

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ALL YOUR THREAD ARE BELONG TO ****NUT THE WONDER IMPALA FROM CHIMP-TOWN (Aka Greebe)
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong:
                    This is a CURE for malaria.
                    Whereas up until now, all the drugs did was keep the malaria in remission, it never totally got rid of it. This eliminates it completely in just a few days!
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Ah, another great step for science. Keep it up!
                      If you want realism, sh*t on your foot.

Comment

Thats how I read it, Evil....

you could not (previously) be cured of malaria...

RedRed
                        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

This is nice!
                          You could only take medicine to prevent you from getting malaria.... Wasn't it something like that?

Comment

Hmmm, looks good.

I hope that we at least use this particular drug properly to reduce how quickly resistance is created. Fortunatly, it isn't a general antibiotic (won't be used on everything, whether it is effective or not) and it has a short prescription length (ensures more people actually take the full course)
                            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

great news

Comment

Working...
                              X