X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a tax problem!! (UK)

Hi all...

I have a tax problem

Right, I have finished my workplacement in October. I was on 11k pro rata and I worked 6 months.

I suppose I can get part of my paid tax repay, but how? I heard that I need a P45 part 2 from the company, but my ex-manager is trying to avoid me or something he won't answer my email or phone calls

And most importantly... I'm not a UK citizen... does that affect anything at all? (I assume no)

Many thanks!
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

If I was you I would get in touch with the local tax offices, it is the IRS (Internal Reveune Service) here in the US, and ask them what to do. It could be that your ex-employer is try to avoid paying his taxes by trying not to have you report yours.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

You can usually get it without the P45, as long as you still have all your old payslips and know how much your total gross and net earnings are. Wait until the end of the tax year (April), then get in touch with your local tax office and they can show you how to claim back.

IIRC, the form you need to fill in is an R85 (but don't quote me on this)

The inland revenue are generally pretty sharp and helpful with this sort of thing - their job is NOT to grab as much tax as possible but to get everybody's tax correct.

Do you have a national insurance number? If not, it might take a little longer as you are not a UK citizen. Other than that, your status shouldn't (afaik) affect things too much if you are resident for the whole tax year.

Gnep
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Many thanks.

I don't actually think my ex-manager is avoiding me because, well, he is a manager not an employer.

GNEP you mean ALL pay slips? Hmmm... two missing!!! :_(_ damn... anyway I can't wait until April because my account balance is negative now... I need some urgent money.

Yes you guys are right, why don't I ring the tax office? Stupid me...

their job is NOT to grab as much tax as possible but to get everybody's tax correct.
        Because the % is as much as they can get already!!!

And yes, I do have a temporary NI number, so yes I did contributed
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Good. Not having ALL payslips shouldn't be a problem - but you will need to know what your total gross income was and what your actual total net income was for this tax year, so that they can work out the difference.

You will have most likely have been taxed on a "week 1, month 1" basis for your time there, which will mean that each month/week it is assumed that you are going to have earned that amount constantly throughout the year and taxed appropriately. As there are/will be periods you will not have been working in the current tax year, you should be able to get at least a few hundred quid back (obviously depends on how much you have been earning and how long...).

You MAY be able to get it back before the end of the tax year in April 03, but probably not - as at the moment the tax office will not know for sure that you are not going to earn any more money before then.

Having said that, talk to the revenue. They will know all the correct answers.

In years where I have had to do this, then usually I haven't been able to claim until April - but have posted my form off the day the tax year ended and had a cheque 2 weeks later. Occasionally there are delays, and/or they get the calculations wrong (happened to me once that they thought I was due nothing back, but I had done my own calcs and knew it was nearly a grand due - so I quibbled and a couple of days later a cheque for the correct amount arrived!) But this sort of occurance is thankfully rare AFAIK.

NI number is the key - so it is good you have one.

If you need any help with the calculations, PM me and I can be of service...

Gnep

Comment

Oh, forgot to add: you will also need details of all/any other income you have had this tax year - e.g. interest (if paid gross) on bank accounts; other jobs you have done; investment income/capital gains. They do have threshold amounts though whereby they pretty much ignore anything below them, so you should be OK on this one if you haven't had any other jobs. Obviously unrecorded "cash in hand" doesn't count!

Comment

Many thanks.
              I think my threshold is 4200 and I should get about 500 to 600 back.

I pay the bank more than they pay me because of overdraft :T does that count?

Sold many stuff on ebay but haha they can't catch me on that

Comment

Working...
              X