Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Audio/Video/HT question!

Don't laugh please but...
    What is the difference between a receiver and an amp?
    Because amp also receives stuff and receiver also amps stuff :T

What is the practical difference?

Also... any good UK online A/V stores?
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Amplifier - A component with amplification circuits, normally has just an on/off switch.
    In: single source
    Out: speakers

Pre-Amp - A different component (when comming in the same box with the Amplifier its called "Integrated Amplifier"). The Pre-Amp is the "source control" - it let's you choose the source from which you want to hear the music and volume control. Normaly the pre-amp also includes sound manipulation circuitry such as balance, bass, treble, loudness switch etc.
    In: all kinds of sources
    Out: all kinds of outputs + volume controlled output(s) for the amp(s), headphone etc.

Tuner - Another name for a radio
    In: Radiowaves
    Out: Stereo output to the Pre-Amp

If you combine all three components into 1 box, you get a Receiver.

Comment

Thanks a lot. This clears thing up a bit.

So when someone says "amp", it usually means "integrated amp", yea?
      I mean if I'm to buy a new amp, I don't have to specifically look for the term "integrated amp", do I?
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Right, unless you go high end where you might be presented with a monoblock amp - 1 input (mono) 1 output (1 speaker).
        Some guys (with too much money on their hands) have stereo systems with 2 biamped speakers making a total of 4 monobloc amps. I'll leave you the calculations for a home-theater system...

Comment

Here's some crazy guy's work

Description:
          My room has just been finished. dimensions are; 20X13X9. double wall installation, no windows, no noise, total quiet, the way music is supposed to be. RPG diffusers, omni "four", front and side walls. RPG diffusers and obsorbers, studio in a box is what it's called, "silver series" equipment/IRS infinity Epsilon's speakers. Krell amp/ preamp 500i, Krell 250 cd player. two Nad 208's, one for infinity servo bass and other for four HSU's subwoofers. all Audioquest cables throughout. power wedge power conditioner, salamander audio rack/with bright star audio isolator platform to keep stabalized. all equipment sounded good before, but now with the new room and acoustic material, it is now brought up to new heights. JT

Comment

Or the good old Naim six pack which had six mono-block power amps
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Thanks a lot

Now on my adventure for a cheap integrated amp... ebay go ebay go go!
              No wait, I need some good speakers first :T

Comment

What's your (total setup) budget ?

Comment

Heh no limit!!

Because I have no money
                  See how much they are, see how much I can borrow, then see what 2nd hand equipment I can find... since everything will be sold a year later when I go back to my home country, it is unlikely I'll spend my whole loan on this, but I do need some entry-level stuff to keep myself satisfied

Comment

What will it be for ? Large room ? Small room ? Personal listening ?

Comment

Small room, for the MD deck and connect to my PC for watching dvds.

Just lost some bidding war on ebay 10mins ago for a pioneer 5.1 speakers package :_( Nevermind, I'm searching for some floorstanding as my front speakers now...

By the way, kudos to SteveC for the MD deck modding!!

Comment

Why don't you get a decent pair of Sennheiser HD580 which you could take back home with you ?

Comment

Holy Shit !!!

Comment

Theres a number of online Hi-Fi/AV stores in the UK, most of which I researched after Richer Sounds managed to sell the AV Amp they'd reserved for me within 12 hours of it arriving, but sadly, Richer Sounds is still the cheapest by some margin.

Shop TV, Hi-Fi, home cinema and more at Richer Sounds. We offer expert advice and lowest prices guaranteed. Visit us in store or shop online now.

Good luck.

The Sherwood receivers are supposed to be pretty good for Surround systems only, and the Eltax speakers are rated quite highly for budget jobbies. If you have the money, the Missions will almost definately be a better speaker for music.
                            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Well, the basic questions seem to have been answered.

But you'd be amazed at how incompetent electronics store personnel are.

My H/K tuner (or receiver, or amp, or whatever you wanna call it) died a couple months back, and I called Circuit City's tech department... the people that supposedly KNOW stereos.

"Hi, I have a dead tuner."

"What's a tuner?"

"You know, the receiver... amp..."

"Umm..."

"THE THING ALL MY COMPONENTS PLUG INTO THAT MAKES NOISE!"

"Oh yes, your stereo. Ok, what happened?"

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X