X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Videofiles Over 25 Min in MSP 6

Hi.

Hang on, this can be rough.

Ok firts off, I have just tried to create a DV AVI file from Media Studio. But during the rendering process, it suddenly stops at around 15-20 min (don't know excactly when) and claims that my HD is full...which it's deffenitally not (I have alteast 10 gigs left, when this message appears).
    So instead of render a AVI file I tried to "print" the material on the timeline directly to my DV camcorder. This didn't work either. The picture sometimes speedsup or slows down and the transitions effects starts and ends with a ugly "chop". I've tried this under both Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 with the same result. I'm using this new DVpatch from Ulead's website (DVpatch II). Have someone made DV productions that are longer that 20 min in Media Studio and if so, how did you salw this problem. I mean, I want to be able to go digital all the way. I don't want to render my project to another format and then just record it on VHS or something.

I know that Windows has some issues with files that are bigger that 2 gigs. But there must be a solution for this.

I'm using a Marvel G400 video card and a Pyro Firewire card. Can I make some changes to the Ulead ini file ?

Can someone please help me on this

Thanks.

Christopher Cameron
    --------------------------------------------

My system:

PII 400Mhz (overclocked to 448 Mhz)
    128 Mb RAM
    Windows 98 SE/Windows 2000

------------------

You can upgrade to windows 2000 and NTFS to overcome the 2/4 GB limits in win9x with Media Studio Pro6 -- usable, but not quite ready for prime time, especially with analog captures due to a dearth of drivers.

Or you can get the DVpatchII from Ulead to enable timeline playback with DV audio.
    You have to create a template starting with your DV settings and change the audio format form PCM to DV audio. Then you put your project together from 2GB or smaller pieces and play the whole thing back to the camcorder from the timeline.

--wally.

Comment

Hi Wally.

Thanks for the reply. After I posted this comment, I made a NTFS partition on one of my HD's. And when I'm running the Media Studio Video Editor under Windows 2000 and creates DV AVI files that is greater than 4 gigs...I have no problem
      This seems to work just fine. But when I read your post where you said that it's "not ready for prime time" I got worried. What's the problem with this method ?

Which alternative do you recommend. To render a AVI file or "record" straight from the timeline. I've got the feeling that it's better to create the file first, before you record it to tape. The disadvantage though, is of course the extra space on the HD that must be used.

Oh, well. For now it seems to work fine. But some pointers are more than welcome

Thanks.

Cc

------------------

[This message has been edited by Christopher Cameron (edited 11 August 2000).]

Comment

Does anybody know if Windows ME supports NTFS?

Comment

Chris - Don't worry about comments like 'Not ready for prime-time" in association with W2000. If you are able to run it and your h/w (PYRO and MATROX) are supported then go for it. It is VERY stable (and SP1 has just been released - which is usually the trigger for more people to try).

I've been a very happy W2000 user from the start.
          Phil
          AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

I meant the DV of Media Studio Pro is not ready for prime time mostly because of the lousy quality of the Microsoft DV codec they are depending on. The MS and TI "device control" can be problematic depending on what camcorder you have. Support is basically try the other if one don't work. Then hope for an update if neither works right.

If you don't do overlays or complex trasitions, you might not notice the problem since if you don't re-render, you don't encode with the MS codec.

MS Pro is very stable in editing.

Capture is still flakey, especially under windows 2000, lots of problems with device control for certain camcorders. Analog capture will sometimes crash on systems that AVI_IO captures have no trouble with. (certified WDM analog capture drives from the win2k CD). The video capture works very well with VfW capture drivers (Hauppauge WinTV) on the same hardware. Thus its a crap shoot as to if you think its "ready for prime time or not. Depends on what you have and how you try to use it.

I think you should know where the pits lie even if you've been lucky enough to avoid them up to now.

--wally.

Comment

Hi Ho !

Well, well. I think I pretty much have the situation "under controll". But of course you never know, and just because I wrote this...my whole system will freak out

But with this "line up" I haven't reached any trouble yet !:

I use Ulead Video Capture 6.0 under Windows 98 SE to capture my digital material. It's seems to work more smoothly under Win 98 then win 2000. Why ? Don't Know ! And I have no problem using my miniDV (Panasonic NV-DA1) camcorder with this software.
              When I have the material I want to work with, I switch over to Ulead Video Editor 6.0 that I run with Win 2000 (service pack one updated).

The only problem I have, when using Video Editor with Win 2000, is that the previews looks kind of crappy. When I use transistions effects anyways. This is a Win 2000 bug. But if I turn of the "smart render" option, (when I start the "final render process") these flaws dissapears.

So far I have done about 8 min of edited material, loaded with "compilcated" transistions and audio mixes

Cc

------------------

Comment

Exceeding 2GB per capture chunk may not be a good idea, depending on what other things you plan to do with the AVI chunks, exceeding 1GB might cause problems. If you stick with Media Studio Pro6 or Video Studio4 then I agree you can use 4GB pieces.

The real solution is to pressure the vendors to get drivers working with W2k and NTFS so the 2/4GB limits can be made history. The last thing we need is a "fat64" kludge!

I don't think anyone overlaying rolling credits on top of trailing video will be really happy with the MS codec. OTOH, I never cease to be amazed at the poor quality of photographic prints that people will accept (and pay for!) from most "minilab" photo processors. So I don't want to argue about what is "good enough".

I've been running under w2k with the camcorder hooked up in "VCR" mode and the analog output is sent to an NTSC monitor. The preview window is blank, or stuck on a single frame, but the playback looks great on the big screen. When I turn off the camcorder the preview window seems OK, but then how critical can one be looking at a dinky window? Perhaps you have that "quick play" option enabled in the preview window. I tried it to see what it does, and it sure looks horrible! All I can figure, is its there to show some output on minimally adaquate systems.

I've not tried any other DV codec because I can work around the MS codec problems. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it, and I'll continue to mention it as a serious flaw in an otherwise outstanding product!

With the DVpatchII I seem to be able to capture fine under w2k. Video capture still has some glitches and "fearures" I dislike. But being able to start a capture and grab the whole tape unattended to a single file to cut up latter works a whole lot better for me than babysitting the camcorder to capture the pieces I want.

--wally.

PS has anyone had any luck with Media Studio Pro6 video capture using an analog board with WDM drivers? It and AVI_IO works great for me with the VfW drivers on Hauppauge Win/TV (not certified by Microsoft). But the "certified" drivers for the ATI All In Wonder Pro included on the w2k CD crash it immediately. AVI_IO seems to capture fine as long as I stick to the fixed choices in the capture format dialog box, choosing a custom setting of 352x240 crashes AVI_IO a few seconds afer capture starts :-(

Looks like Microsoft's capture drivers are not even as good as their DV codec.

[This message has been edited by wkulecz (edited 15 August 2000).]

Comment

wkulecz said
                  the DV of Media Studio Pro is not ready for prime time mostly because of the lousy quality of the Microsoft DV codec they are depending on.
                  GENTLE ADVICE TO OHIC USERS

Be very careful about purchasing other codecs before you have tried the MS codec yourself. The transitons, F/X may show signs of degrading (Using a Microscope), not the rest of the footage.

I have one guy who wished he hadn't believed what he had read about the MS Codec & he is now a happy MS codec user (He bought Main Actor before he had tried the MS codec because of the hype) http://216.246.51.202/forums/ads-tech/000714141711.htm

I am sorry but IMO this MS codec issue is been overhyped & is frightening people

My view is to let people judge for themselves. http://www.price98.freeserve.co.uk/page14.htm

The MS codec may not be the best, but it doesn't cause the problems you are highlighting for unaltered footage.

Example - Transitions have very slight quality loss first generation, the rest of the footage is unaltered after a 6 generation test, I followed the Ulead (Who make MS Pro 6) instruction not to tick re-compression.

I would still like to see improvement in the MS codec though, but my advice is don't seek alternatives to the MS codec until you have carried out your own tests

wkulecz said
                  Then you put your project together from 2GB or smaller pieces
                  You can use up to 19 mins (-4gb) under Windows 98 (Fat32)

Don't believe everything you read.

I apologise for quoting your posts wkulecz, I am just trying to put forward a balnced point of view.

johnpr98

Home Page With ADS Pyro Info & Examples
                  ADS Pyro & Ulead VS & MS Pro 6 Forum With Tips & Info http://www.johnpr98.com or http://www.price98.freeserve.co.uk/

John Price ADS Technologies PYRO forum http://www.wwug.com/forums/ads-tech/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                  X