Anti-Hacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Hacks

What is the best protection against hacks ??? that I can use as ppl in the the "CS" world keep threatening to hack into my computer and I want to protect myself can you help me guys

Firewall, Antivirus and common sense

Besides it's only in movies that it's really posible to "hack" into computers
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I use ZoneAlarm and I haven't encountered any problems so far, and my dad has it and 4 of my buddies use it without any problems. I hear that ZoneAlarm Pro is much better.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I don't think Gurm will agree with you about ZoneAlarm On my PCs, I don't run any software firewall. I rely on the hardware firewall in my router. I put ZoneAlarm on my sister's PC though, to catch potential "bad programs" that try to access the net since she's one of those users that are likely to let their machine get infected with a Trojan

Comment

93204 intrusions have been blocked since Zone Alarm Pro was installed ....

23510 of those have been High rated.

From Zone Alarms "overview" on my machine.

I'm running Home 500 broadband in the Uk.
          Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

though you've got to take into account that the success of these programs also depends on the mass-hysteria they can create

Comment

@liquidsnake: yup i also rely on my USR router as my firewire also they don't take system resources away lol.

Comment

WHEN I use a software firewall, I tend to use Black Ice... but I turn off the little "intruder alert" tray icon. Irritating, that.

Zone Alarm is a festering shitpile. The only way you could get me to use it was if you offered me a version that had the outbound checking forcibly amputated - preferably at the programmer's limp dick.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Couldn't agree more with that assesment!
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I don´t use ZoneAlarm, I use Tiny and I´d say the outgoing connection alert is one of it´s better features.

Better paraniod than sorry.

rubank

Comment

The outgoing connection alert was thought up by the same ****heads that "warn" you that MS's UPnP enumerator will let the "L33T H4XX0R5" bust into your system. HOT DAMN!

"IEXPLORE.EXE is attempting to access the internet. THIS COULD BE A VIRUS OR TROJAN HORSE!!!! DO YOU WANT TO ALLOW THIS? (NO/NO/NO/NO/NO/Yes)"

Yes.

"NO REALLY! YOUR COMPUTER MIGHT GET ****ED IN THE ASS WITH A REALLY BIG STICK! DON'T ****ING ALLOW THIS! ARE YOU SURE? (No/No/No/No/No/No/No)"

YES.

"Aww c'mon. I'm gonna warn you every time the program tries to access the internet, ok???"

No.

"WHY NOT!? DON'T YOU WANT MY L33T PROTECTIONZ FROM HAXX0R5???"

No.

"WHY THE **** NOT?"

BANG.

- Gurm

P.S. Did I mention that I HATE OUTBOUND CONNECTION CHECKING?
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I have linux for my firewall,

I don't trust an unprotected windows machine direct access to the internet via broadband
                        80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

inbound is all you usually need, unless a trojan has sneeked into your system, in which case outbound checking might come in handy.
                          There are plenty of users that will happily donwload a trojan without realising, and if you are on the same LAN as them your stuck with the consequences..

I have a d-link router/firewall on mine (but I think the linux one I used to have was a lot better)

Comment

Yeah, checking that little box marked "remember this setting" when you allow something outbound communication is a real hassle
                            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Zonealarm it sucks. Had too many ringing our helpdesk with non working network connections because of this. Either becuase the user doesn't know what to tick or the damn thing blocks and doesn't ask the user and then won't allow you to unblock it.
                              Even better when the darn thing goes through the uninstall routine but leaves the program installed running evily in the back ground.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X