Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supplies at the Firingsquad

Read about it here.

Very interesting article. It does lack a few points, like active/passive PFC vs non-PFC power supplies, or voltage stability across the rails. But it does point to the 12V rail as one of the most important yet overlooked specs on a power supply.
    It also shows that the much hyped Antec´s aren´t anything special with only modest 12V amperage.

Comment

Please update link:
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Read the article as well yesterday, very informative...Firingsquad are real pros anyway
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Their articles are
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I agree, and after reading that I guess I need a new PSU. My computer has become a bit shaky since I installed this 9700Pro. I guess it's draining a lot of juice from my 12v line.

Comment

Actually, after reading that I have already ordered a new PSU!!
              15W with a few fans 2 hdd and 1.9g maxs it out
              Now my LED fans are like constantly flashing...
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Well, I can share my experience on a new powersupply. If money is no object, go Ennermax. Very sweet power supplies.

I personally got a Chieftec 360W HPC-360-302DF. Nothing fancy, but it does compare nicely with an Antec Truepower 380. It does cost 40€ less than the Antec, pretty much the same specs, and for the same cost of a generic 400-450W it does much better.

Comment

Well, I can share my experience on a new powersupply. If money is no object, go Ennermax. Very sweet power supplies.
                  I have read many Pro toward Enermax and con against them... good design, low quality control.

Also if cost is no object, PC Power & Cooling are what you want. They are the best of the best.
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Forgot to say that I found this article rather lacking.. felt it should have gone into much more detail and had at least a comparasion of most common supplies sold, including actual specs under load.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                      Forgot to say that I found this article rather lacking.. felt it should have gone into much more detail and had at least a comparasion of most common supplies sold, including actual specs under load.
                      Agree. I think he's got more to say but had to rush out an article or something.

Why do Enermax say "265" when its actually 350W, and "300" when its actually 430W?

Comment

I think the article didn't get it quite right.

If the article WAS correct, my computer certainly wouldn't be stable, because it would be drawing almost twice my power supply's rated 12V rail. (which is only 8A)
                        80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Note that the given currents of your computer's components are maximum currents. You're likely to approach them only when stressing a number of components at the same time. Running SETI@home, speed-disking all your HD's and burning a CD at the same time should get you a long way...

It is not implied that your computer must be unstable if you overload one of your power rails. However, your power supply is not designed to deliver such a load, so strange things can happen. If you're lucky, your PC will shut down or reboot. On cheap PSU's you can also encounter some more nasty effects, like power spikes, blown fuses or a burned out unit... In other words, watch out!

PS - If I can make a suggestion for high quality power supplies, take a look at Fortron-Source. Their PSU's are sold under many different names, but are easily recognizable from their model numbers, starting with FSP******. The only problem with these power supplies is that they often inculde a quite noisy fan, which can of course be cured with a silent replacement...

Comment

simpy2

I do all that all the time,

No instability.

Lots of heat though
                            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Very good PS... Allied

and inexpensive! Just ask Wombat (after the 27th

Comment

Working...
                              X