What graphics card for NLE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What graphics card for NLE?

I am planning on replacing my Marvel G200 with a new card. I don't ever play games, so I don't need 3D. I use MSPro 6 and plan on upgrading to the new 7.0 when it's released.
    I want a fast great quality 2D card with ability to use a second display/TV for NLE.
    I would like to hear your expert advice and experience with cards (Matrox and others). How does ATI or NVIDIA cards compare in their price/performance ratio? Is the G550 worth the price?

Thanks.

ATI/nV cards have much greater Pirce/performance ratio comparing to G550 IMO. At shopmatrox.com they are still selling the card @150 canadian, which was the same price as the time it was launched one and a half year ago. Now you can get a radeon 9000 for the same price. 2d may be better on the BBA 9000s @ high res due to the narrow memory path on within the G550. (64-bit DDR) (i think Rags said this in another post recently)

However, here is the good news: my G550 running 1280x1024 still has the best 2d iq out there (and poetntially G550 can do much better than ATI in 2d if they widen the memory controller coz of the high quality electronics they use). Also, second display is obviously great on G550. (but still damn that slow 2nd RAMDAC....) If you don't play games then i say go for G550 if costs is not a great concern for you.

Comment

Using G400, G450 and Parhelia here, mainly for their DVDMAX feature.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I started with a Rainbow Runner, went to a Marvel G200, then to a Marvel G450eTV. Good cards for NLE, I still use two G450s in my NLE Suite. I got the greatest quality from PICVideo and AVIO for NLE untill I went to RT2500 and RT.x10 in addition to the G450/G450eTV.

You might want to pick up a Marvel G450eTV to get your feet wet and then see how it goes.

have fun,

Ted
        Premiere PRO XP Pro
        Asus P4s533
        P4-2.8
        Matrox G450
        RT.x100
        45 GIG System Drive
        120 Export Drive
        Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
        17" P4-3 HT
        1024 RAM
        32 MEG GForce
        60 GIG 7200RPM HD
        80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
        DVD RW/RAM

Comment

It looks like all Matrox users recommended a Matrox card... how surprising

Now seriously I am not disappointed since I really liked my G200 and whatever people say about Parhelia, Matrox makes good quality cards. I just didn't know if ATI/NV caught up with the display quality Matrox always had, on top of the advances they made in 3D where Matrox seems to have lost ground.

Thanks for your input, I'll now start looking for a low cost source to buy a G450 or G550.

Comment

You want a killer Matrox card?

The RT.X100 is it, but it needs a system that is up to the task and doesn't use a VIA chipset.

Dynamite and they're selling like hotcakes. It's little brother, the RT.X10, is pretty darned good too but lacks most of the realtime features of its big brother.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I must have missed something, is the RT.X100 a graphics card? I thought it needed a separate graphics card such as a Parhelia or G550 and would be responsible for hardware acceleration of transition effects, filters and such only.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                Using G400, G450 and Parhelia here, mainly for their DVDMAX feature.

Dr. Mordrid
                How do you use DVDMax in MSPRO 7? Is it any different from say an ATI's Hydravision dual display?

Comment

Working...
                X