Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Nimitz-Class SuperCarrier started....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Nimitz-Class SuperCarrier started....

Construction recently started on the USS George H. W. Bush, aka: CVN-77. It's due to enter service in 2008.

Nimitz-Class dimensions: 1092 x 250 x 37-39 feet/332.8 x 76.2 x 11.3-11.9 meters displacing 104,000 tons
    Power: two A4W nuclear reactors, steam turbines, 4 shafts, 280,000 sHP
    Speed: 30+ knots

The other members of the Nimitz Class SuperCarrier group are;

USS Nimitz CVN-68 (carrier fleet Admiral WW-II)
    USS Dwight D. Eisenhower CVN-69
    USS Carl Vinson CVN-70 (long time US Congressman & armed services committee leader)
    USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71
    USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72
    USS George Washington CVN-73
    USS John C. Stennis CVN-74 (long time US Senator & armed services committee leader)
    USS Harry S. Truman CVN-75
    USS Ronald W. Reagan CVN-76 (under construction; due for service 2003)

Word is an even more powerful class of carriers, carrying the CVNX designation, are set for construction after the USS Bush is launched. The first will be rolled out in about 2013.

New features: electromagnetic catapults, fewer crew members (and therefore more planes & missiles), a new class of nuclear power plant and more computerized operations. These will enter service with a new class of crusiers designated the CG(X) class.

Some of the CVNX features will be implemented on the USS George H. W. Bush as it's looked at as a "transition ship".

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 December 2002, 09:52.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Another marvel of human engineering.

Comment

I had the opportunity to tour the USS Nimitz some time ago due to a relative being one of the officers. Talk about being totally amazed

You can't even imagine how huge one of those things is until you're actually on board. It's literally a floating city....and armed to the teeth.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sometimes one docks in Haifa. When that happens it's a real attraction.

Comment

I was on one in NYC (don't remember the name), it also had an SR-71 on deck. They are HUGE and amazing!!!
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I was on military ships when i was smaller (and the ships were also smaller), the thing that i remember the most is the not-from-this-earth noise the engines do.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Try driving a Lamborgini Diablo once

Comment

Actually I liked the Ferrari Daytona and Lamborghini Countach quite a bit

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The Countach (or however it is spelled!) was always my favourite car as a kid - I still think it's possible one of the classics of all time. Another wonder of engineering!
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

hmm countach has too many sharp edges, porsche 911 (996) turbo is what i prefer
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Speaking of supercars, it's gotta be the McLaren F1.

Back on topic, I was out in Vancouver once, and they had to shut down traffic on the Lion's Gate bridge. There was a US carrier going under it (not sure what class), and the clearance between the underside of the bridge and the top mast of the ship was about 3 feet!! Any weird swells and it would've hit. That's a majorly high bridge too, so that ship must be gigantic.
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Interesting to see they be naming ships after living presidents now... who'd they call, Miss Cleo?

McLaren F1 all the way baby!
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

AFAIK the rule has always been only dead naval officers, but no limit on the Presidents.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                            I was on one in NYC (don't remember the name), it also had an SR-71 on deck. They are HUGE and amazing!!!
                            What you saw Zokes was probably the USS Intrepid. Its a floating museum of sorts.

Experience the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the first space shuttle Enterprise, and other pieces of history at the Intrepid Museum.

I had the chance to visit a carrier also, back in 1998. It was in port in Norfolk, VA preparing for her shakedown cruise. I can't recall exactly, but I think she was the Truman.

She was one of the most amazing things I've ever been on. You just can't explain how big these things are. Not to mention how fast they are. I recall being told that she could give a car going at highway speeds a run for its money.

And she wasn't bad at turning corners either. Mind you she's a BIG ship, but I recall something about if needed a hard turn could be made, at high speed, and the deck would slant so much that if it wasn't bolted down to the deck, it wasn't gonna stay on for long.
                            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

why bother building another?

RedRed
                              Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Working...
                              X