Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many are left doing SETI or other projects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many are left doing SETI or other projects?

Was checking out the SETI stats for kicks and I was shocked to see I was still #4 for the team and still 8X somethin' for overall users I haven't crunched SETI for about 2 years now!
    G@H doesn't look a whole lot better either. Our DF production on the other hand is pretty phenominal for such a small team as ours Looks to me if we were to put some of the power used on projects other than DF to use for DF we would probably have enough combined CPU power to over take a couple DF teams ahead of us. Otherwise we're just floundering where we're at in ALL projects and that's just (sorry to be so strightforward about it but time to stop beatin' 'round the bush) unacceptable to me as a member and cruncher in general. I'm VERY competetive and I either prefer to win or lose.

Sorry about my attitude but we've been a very proud and STRONG team (for our size we're Awesome ) since I started crunching SETI with the MURC team. I've always been an avid Matrox fan and my love for MAtrox quality is what lead me here.
    Now this isn't another of my "I'm bored and gonna' try something new" whining fits It's actually a call to get off our butts and pull together again because we have already lost Kim (Sisyfos) and breezer is down to a VERY low production compared to what he was running when we were in SETI (breezer and box were the Kings of crunch here for a long time )
    This subjects been discussed plenty in the past few months but I guess I'm looking for a definitive answer one way or the other because I can't stand this floundering. We aren't moving up but we aren't moving down. I KNOW we are capable of better than that
    I understand there's quite a few of us who are probably a little burned out (especially Guru, Pace, Rattledagger....) but I have a somewhat renewed energy for it (especiallly since getting my SS51G w/2.53 P4 and my new A7N8X ) and would like to know where we stand. I haven't seen many posts here (used to see MANY new post here EVERY day ) other than the ones from Guru to Pace or from Rattle about SETI and a few intermittent ones here and there.

Don't mean to sound angry (cause I'm not, I love being a part of this team and the classy people that have always been here ) but I guess I have ants in my pants and would like to be active in the stats again (is any project that active anymore? after all the ranting I don't remnember the last time I saw a taunt from another team, are they all still active?) and see some action in DC again. DC's like the "sport" for us non-athletic Geek types.

PS- Where's Guyver been? Haven't seen him around in a LONG time.
    Last edited by rocketmanx; 10 December 2002, 09:05.

I must admit that I was feeling a little disgruntled a while ago and powered down my 3 machines. In fact I had absolutely no gruntle left

However. I have started crunching again, to the best of my ability, and hopefully I can throw a few units out for DF again, at least until I go away on my Christmas hols.

Here's hoping

Tom

Comment

Ants in your pants? Which ones - Ant, Vigil, Anti? All 3?

The reason I'm not running DF is because it means more work than Genome. Want to explain the DF update process to me?

From what I understand, whenever there is an update, I have to update my computers manually (i.e. dialup a connection etc). For me this would sadly mean lost CPU time while machines wait to be updated.

Correct me

P.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

No Ants Pace Least not those kind
        (what would they be doing in there anyway )

Actually I've never had to do anything to DF in a LONG while.
        At least not since I got around to reading the READme1st.txt

It autoupdates itself. Update today happened at noon here and I got home and all is running and units were sent.
        The client (text is what I use, I'm sure the GUI does the same) asks during the first run if you want to accept auto updates, or you can add a file called autoupdate.cfg and enter a 1 in it and it will autoupdate.

I was turned off by all the babysitting (and client crashes ) of G@H. I don't do any babysitting with DF and I haven't had the client crash once, except on over tweaked machines It's definitely a little sensitive to good and bad ram. It likes a lot of ram too.

Guru's more of an expert than I but I don't there's a lot of tweaking that can be done like in the early days of SETI and G@H. It's pretty straightforward.

Comment

I've swapped all my machines from Seti to DF.
          And all I've got for the last 8 hours is "Server down for maintainance, try again later."
          I dont even know the structures I am creating will still be relavent once I finally get to upload them.

Screw 'em.
          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

RichL Thats becuse they chaged the structure yesterday (They do it everyother month or so!)! Anyways they will accept old units for several days after they change it! Use the upload feature on dfgui to upload the old structures!
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Woohoo! Some people in my group forgot to turn their machines on. Extra folds fro me!!! Hee hee hee ha ha hohohohohohho hee hee.

Comment

I'm kinda annoyed at the error log bug... got it running on a friends server and can only check the system once a week. I'm afraid to find out how large the log will be when I see it next. Probably a good thing it's only a K6-2 450, so it probably won't be all that bad, but it's still a pretty lame "bug."

Comment

Well, I'll keep crunching Seti to the end... but unfortunately my accounts got lost on their trip so will not return back here.

What will happen in the future depends on how good/bad BOINC will be...

Comment

Last night I shutdown my two main boxes for the first time in weeks. All I have running DF now is my k6III/450 gateway box, giving out around 50,000 structures per day.
                    Its bloody annoying as I was closing the gap between me and Sitflyer, and had got to around 1.7million before they updated the algorythm and I couldnt download the new one or upload old units for over 14 hours. Odds are when I go back to work Monday the units on the P2/350s I've had running DF unattended for the last two weeks will no longer be acceptable.

Sorry guys, but I just cant be arsed to needlessly raise my electric bill any more.
                    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

What's BOINC Rattle?

Well, I'll keep crunching Seti to the end... but unfortunately my accounts got lost on their trip so will not return back here.
                      ??? Not sure what you meant by that, no return to DF or Accts. here (MURC) ?

Comment

Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing, BOINC, is currently in alpha-testing, and will be the framework Seti@home II among other projects will run on. BOINC is open-source.
                        For more info on BOINC and Seti@home-future

As for seti, v2, v3 and v3.03 went on walkabout last year, but since they resently got consolidated they'll not return.
                        Df, well, I've never tried DF yet... maybe then seti I is done...

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
                          From what I understand, whenever there is an update, I have to update my computers manually (i.e. dialup a connection etc).
                          Originally posted by rocketmanx
                          It autoupdates itself. Update today happened at noon here and I got home and all is running and units were sent.
                          The client (text is what I use, I'm sure the GUI does the same) asks during the first run if you want to accept auto updates, or you can add a file called autoupdate.cfg and enter a 1 in it and it will autoupdate.

I was turned off by all the babysitting (and client crashes ) of G@H. I don't do any babysitting with DF and I haven't had the client crash once, except on over tweaked machines It's definitely a little sensitive to good and bad ram. It likes a lot of ram too.
                          Hmm, you miss my dialup comment? I'm making a wild stab that they can't autoupdate whilst my machines are offline

As for the G@H babysitting, I do none. I upload my own machine daily, and the rest of the machines under my control on a weekly basis. Not every week mind you, but everytime I update them it's in some week or another. Uploaded half of them yesterday before running out of time, so there should be a big jump in my stats today, and maybe next week too.

P.
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

You can crunch in offline mode with df and you will still get credit for your units!
                            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Hello all.

As you can see my name is Neal Chantrill and i am a member of Skzdalimit. I think you have a really great web-site and forum and hope you don't mind me registering. I have been looking round the other teams and see that alot of teams are having the same trouble keeping members unterested in crunching! Our team as grown in size alot to around the same size as yours. How about a friendly challenge to keep yours and our member focused?? At the end of the day it's all about finding ET and the more people looking the easier it'll be.

Hope you all have a good Xmas and a happy new year.

Neal Chantrill

Comment

Working...
                              X