is there a scandisk for xp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a scandisk for xp?

i was wondering whether or not there was a scandisk like toll in windows xp to check the health of the data on my hdd. is there such a thing?
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

There are several, but only two I have used. XP has one built-in, just right-click on the volume you want checked, select Properties from the drop down menu. Go to the Tools tab and select Error-Checking. Check the two boxes and clcik on start.

You will be prompted saying it cannot be run while in the OS and ask to flag the drive to check at next reboot. Say OK/Yes and reboot. When it boots up CHKDSK (the NT/2k/XP version of scandisk) will run.

Norton Utilities has one as well, but it also requires a reboot, and I can't tell whether it just uses the XP one, or replaces the XP one with it's own.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

me thinks norton just hijacks the xp chkdisk program as both look the same when running to me!

Comment

Re: is there a scandisk for xp?

Originally posted by borat
        i was wondering whether or not there was a scandisk like toll in windows xp to check the health of the data on my hdd. is there such a thing?
        Do you have XP installed on FAT or NTFS ?

Comment

Version 2003 has got a habit off messing up the chkdsk so you set it too run and it doesn't. The only way I've been able to fix this is by uninstalling Norton system U 2003 and then re-installing.

Now the helpdesk phone has stopped what other versions are there.
          Last edited by The PIT; 10 December 2002, 08:09.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT

Now the helpdesk phone has stopped what other versions are there.
            ?????
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

running on ntfs system, cheers guys.
              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                ?????
                The helpdesk phone rang while I was posting so I had to post before I could finnish. I was alos referring to Nortons 2003 package.

Back to the orginal question what alternatives are there for the chkdsk in XP?
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by borat
                  running on ntfs system, cheers guys.
                  One of the advantages of NTFS, it doesn't need to run scandisk if the system wasn't shut down properly, if that was your worry.

Comment

In our dreams mayby!
                    It runs checkdisk instead
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

err, checkdisk

Still, unless you have the OS installed on FAT or have a FAT partition that you access at the time of the "crash", it shouldn't run it ?

Comment

yeah, the problem with doing this is that its still easy enough to hose NTFS if it gets shut down incorrectly enough times.

And, the fun thing about NTFS... if the filesystem has gotten corrupted enough, it will not boot of the hard drive. it will boot the kernel and then blue screen saying INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and reboot...

have to go into the recovery console and run chkdsk on it from there... checks it, fixes it, reboot and you're fine..
                        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Yeah, I see a couple of these a week, sometimes you need a fixboot along with the chkdsk, sometimes the Filesystem gets hosed beyond repair, and the data transfer from HELL begins...
                          Yeah.. we need little stevies school docs/email from ISP/addresses/ Kazaa media, Mom's recipies/email from different ISP/addresses, Dad's Potatoes and cORN , Accounting data/a couple of old DOS Executables and Data.... ARRRRGGGHHHHHHH. I hate multi-profile crap. Might want to try another chkdsk with fingers crossed.
                          Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Yeah... the plus side is that if the chkdsk fixes it you are considered a miracle worker by the non-technically proficent
                            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

hmmm, miracle worker... yeah, I like the sound of that
                              Anybody need me to fix that severe banding issue with their P
                              Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Working...
                              X